Recommend a scope for me

huntoregon

I am looking for a hunting scope for my 300 win mag. I hunt in Oregon for blacktail and elk and also in Idaho for mule deer. Most of where I deer hunt is pretty brushy and lots of timber so 1-200 yard shots are the norm but can be longer. Where I elk hunt is more wide open and could get shots from 5-700 yards no problem.

The scope I have now is a Leupold VX-2 4-12x42 with basic duplex reticle

I would like a nice scope that I could get comfortable with out to 7-800 yards that is built well with a good warranty.

So far the ones I have been browsing are the Nightforce NXS 5.5-20 but im not sure whether to pick the 50 or 56mm version

Next is a Huskemaw 5-20 and then I was also looking at a Vortex Razor.

I haven't looked at any of them in person just reading online so if anyone with real life hunting experience could give me some feedback, options, or recommendations that would be awesome.

huntoregon,

Optics are very much fun for me. I compare them on either eye charts or deer antlers whenever I get a chance. I know the single sample of Huskemaw 5-20 is not in the optical league of the single sample of Nightforce NXS 5.5-20. Unequivocally the Nightforce NXS 5.5-20 is better than Swarovski z5. I had four samples of that one to compare with. The Huskemaw matched the z5 in optical quality, according to both old and young eyes. The Leupold VX-6 4-24X52, again single sample, is better optically than the Huskemaw or the Swarovski z5. My z5 has gone in for warranty two or three times in the four or five years since I bought it. I keep it because its lighter weight. The Vortex Razor, again a sample of one, was almost as nice as the VX-6 optically.

If you don't mind the 56mm objective, you will be able to verify something a few minutes longer with it over the 50mm.

Do a lot of guys not like the bigger 56mm objective?

Do you think that Nightforce scope might be a little too much for the brushy areas with lots of timber?

I have NF and the optical quality, tracking ability, and durability is the best out there in my opinion. The only negative is in the weight......heavier than others.

The beauty of the 5.5 - 22 is you can use the lower power range for those situations when hunting conditions are wooded or cover is more dense, but have the upper range for those long shot opportunities.

If the NF is selected, an important consideration is the type of reticle. I personally prefer the MOAR-T, however the thin lines can be difficult to view in very low light situations against a dark background.

If weight is a concern, the other choice would be the Leupold VX-6. This is another well built product that has excellent optical quality. I would choose a model with the desired power range that includes the ZL (zero lock) feature.

I did not mention Vortex as an option to consider due to my unfavorable experience with the product.

Good luck and happy hunting. RR

I have several years of use on two 5x20 Huskemaws and two NXS NF 5.5x22x50 scopes, one with the G7 reticle, the other, NP2RR. I use them on 6.5x284's and a 300WM for hunting 200-1000 yards for deer and antelope. I tend to carry as much as I sit. I'd start off by saying all four of these scopes have proven to be rugged, reliable, track superbly, and while the optical quality of the NF may be slightly better, it is difficult to see a material difference under hunting conditions including low light dusk and dawn conditions typically encountered with whitetails. The reticles on the Huskemaw, and the NFG7 are nicely weighted and allow for accurate 1 MOA scale windage corrections. The finer NP2RR seems too fine for low light conditions and I find that lighted reticles wash out even at the low settings. No question, the NF feels, looks, and gives the immediate impression that built to survive under severe battle conditions. The trade off is that it is going to cost about 50% more if equally featured to the Huskemaw with zero stop and 20MOA speed turrets. For my tastes, I like the NF on my 300WM which is a +13 pound rifle that is not carried too much when hunting, and also used for playing around at 1500+ yard steel/rocks. For my 10-11 pound 6.5x284's the NF's seem out of place, and add too much weight and bulk to what are otherwise nicely balanced LR hunting rigs. They are bigger and about a pound heavier. But that's just my personal preference. Overall, I have had good success taking a few dozen animals with both scopes from 200-1000 yards and believe you wouldn't go wrong with either scope. IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.