Recommend which scope?

Does no one like the Athlon line? Especially the Cronus?
I have a bunch of Athlon scopes. Not a Cronus specifically but I do have one of the next step down, an Ares UHD.

They're fine. Nothing special, not exceptional glass, turrets aren't any better than a Vortex PST, not an exceptional value to me.

If you can catch them on sale or used they're normally a pretty good deal, but no way I'm paying $1600+ for an Athlon when that's solidly into the good Vortex and Burris range. The reason I have so many is I got 4 of their ~$800 scopes for $350 each on sale. That pushed me to try to Ares, but end of the day I'd rather swap an ATACR or Razor.

I have a bunch of Athlon scopes. Not a Cronus specifically but I do have one of the next step down, an Ares UHD.

They're fine. Nothing special, not exceptional glass, turrets aren't any better than a Vortex PST, not an exceptional value to me.

If you can catch them on sale or used they're normally a pretty good deal, but no way I'm paying $1600+ for an Athlon when that's solidly into the good Vortex and Burris range. The reason I have so many is I got 4 of their ~$800 scopes for $350 each on sale. That pushed me to try to Ares, but end of the day I'd rather swap an ATACR or Razor.
Well, let's say I didn't pay that much for my 2 Cronus, which have great glass BTW! More like ~$1000. I personally can't complain with all 4 of the one's I have.

Last edited:
Like when ya got a scope on a rig for 40 years, that thinkN ,at the time, paid a bit too much for. It's still working perfect and seems like a bargain today. Kahles.

I got the Zeiss in from RedHawk. Best price by far. Wife is happy with the reticle…she wants the same on her 22Gt now. :)
I told her I need to wait until I do a target test to see how well it tracks.

UPDATE: Did a Tall Target test. Tracking perfectly. However, the parallax is off. When going to 1000+ it will not work. Turret is at full turn and going lower , even slowly, wont clear it up.

UPDATE: Did a Tall Target test. Tracking perfectly. However, the parallax is off. When going to 1000+ it will not work. Turret is at full turn and going lower , even slowly, wont clear it up.

Have you tried playing with the fast focus at the 1000yd target with parallax set at infinity?

I can adjust my fast focus at close range and it appears everything is in focus, but have found that setting the fast focus at longer range fine tunes the focus and improves parallax function across the board for me.

I wear reading glasses and my last eye exam was 20/18, this is after cataract surgery 3yrs ago and slightly worse than the original 20/15 immediately after the surgery. Needless to say, I had a lot of scope tweaking to do.

I used one of these at 100yds, but did notice "anomalies" with certain scopes beyond 200yds. I spoke to a friend and he said he has always adjusted his fast focus at the longest distance he can find and sometimes will verify the distance and focus with his spotting scope.

IMG_7326.jpeg

I found this interesting and confusing all at the same time. I had the Leupold 8.5X to 25X Wind plex model, 30mm main tube, on my 270 Weatherby mag at the bang steel shooting school. They made me keep it set a 12.5 power for the shooting. Something about the MOA adjustments are set at 1/2 the max power of the scope. . So I was allowed to crank it up to 25X to view the target, then back it down to 12.5X for the shot and the adjustments. They said ' When you hunt use the high power to judge the animals rack, but back down to 1/2 power for the shot. as they say at Harvard ," Whod a Thunk???