recoil problem....

243, 260, 6.5 credmore are all great choices. Someone mentioned the 25-06 (that's one of my personal favorites)
The 7mm-08 has taken my house by storm.
My wife has a shoulder replacement (artificial/cadaver tissue) and she loves her little browning x-bolt in 7mm-08.
My 13 year old daughter and 12 year old step son both have 7mm-08s.

I resoundingly agree! Once you shoot a 7mm-08 you'll never want to shoot anything else. On the fun scale it's through the roof. On the accuracy scale, it's also through the roof! My 12 year old daughter that weighs 80 pounds can shoot this caliber all day long. And it EASILY matches the big boys (308 and 300 win mag) on bullseye hits at 1000 yards.

First , hope the neck gets better . There is lots of good ideas here but when you said you have the 243 in a few guns , mabe that would be where I would start . I have always had one in my safe and have shot deer at 400+ with a well placed high shoulder shot and tipped them over just fine with good bullets. There are good brakes out there for 40.00 plus installation that will reduce the recoil to the place of watching your bullet impact through the scope. The creedmore seems to be taking the 1000 yd by storm with very little recoil . Now all that being said , the brake sounds like the best choice on a gun you now own so you can try It out before you spend lots of money on something you can't shoot in the end !lightbulb

I have 4 fused and plated discs in my neck plus 8 screws and a morphine pump in my back for chronic pain in my neck so I understand where you are coming from,I'm also limited to bench shooting being I can't bend my neck to shoot prone.
I went with the 6.5 creedmoor in a model 12 Savage LRP being its a heavy rifle and recoil would be less then the 7mm or 308 and I wouldn't be 3-5k into it if I deside its to much later,if all goes well I will more then likely spend more on a rifle for this sport, hard to beat the 12 LRP tho.

Hey all,
I have a problem. A little history is in order. I have 3 fused vertebrates in my neck and a plate and 4 screws.

I want to get into LRH but me and recoil don't get along to well anymore.

So, what calibers should I be looking at? 30-06 makes me flinch anymore....I know.:rolleyes: I just keep thinking every time I squeeze the trigger on bigger calibers I'm going to back out a screw or something and do damage to my neck. My surgeon told me I could go back to doing whatever I want.....but with the current pain I feel in my neck I worry about it.

Anyway, 'nough of that....so....what calibers? 600 yards is my current goal for target shooting as I feel that for me at least ethically I shouldn't be shooting at anything past 200 yards when hunting deer. Now, coyotes is different. :D

I'm thinking 243win......less recoil and I already have guns chambered in it. good for deer out to 350 with a well placed shot and capable of 600 yard target.

What other lower recoil calibers should I be looking at?

Thanks.
One thing for sure is you've received a lot of good advice here and there isn't much else to say. Since you own a small shop and see what the trends are in medium size caliber rifles . The one no one has told you is why the 6.5 rounds are so good. Let me state that I don't own one because I like the bigger calibers and even with neck and shoulder problems I can still shoot them very well but with your problem I can appreciate the need for less recoil. Back to the 6.5 one has to look at the SD of the bullet and how they match up to others. The smaller lighter bullets match up to the bigger heavier .308 bullets very well. I don't have the charts to post here just quoting what I've read besides it gives you something else to research which is half the fun.
Good luck with which ever way you go. Just one last thing, just as the 7mm-08 is a necked down 308 so is the 260 Remington.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.