recoil problem....

outdoorsman1

Hey all,
I have a problem. A little history is in order. I have 3 fused vertebrates in my neck and a plate and 4 screws.

I want to get into LRH but me and recoil don't get along to well anymore.

So, what calibers should I be looking at? 30-06 makes me flinch anymore....I know.:rolleyes: I just keep thinking every time I squeeze the trigger on bigger calibers I'm going to back out a screw or something and do damage to my neck. My surgeon told me I could go back to doing whatever I want.....but with the current pain I feel in my neck I worry about it.

Anyway, 'nough of that....so....what calibers? 600 yards is my current goal for target shooting as I feel that for me at least ethically I shouldn't be shooting at anything past 200 yards when hunting deer. Now, coyotes is different. :D

I'm thinking 243win......less recoil and I already have guns chambered in it. good for deer out to 350 with a well placed shot and capable of 600 yard target.

What other lower recoil calibers should I be looking at?

Thanks.

Hey all,
I have a problem. A little history is in order. I have 3 fused vertebrates in my neck and a plate and 4 screws.

I want to get into LRH but me and recoil don't get along to well anymore.

So, what calibers should I be looking at? 30-06 makes me flinch anymore....I know.:rolleyes: I just keep thinking every time I squeeze the trigger on bigger calibers I'm going to back out a screw or something and do damage to my neck. My surgeon told me I could go back to doing whatever I want.....but with the current pain I feel in my neck I worry about it.

Anyway, 'nough of that....so....what calibers? 600 yards is my current goal for target shooting as I feel that for me at least ethically I shouldn't be shooting at anything past 200 yards when hunting deer. Now, coyotes is different. :D

I'm thinking 243win......less recoil and I already have guns chambered in it. good for deer out to 350 with a well placed shot and capable of 600 yard target.

What other lower recoil calibers should I be looking at?

Thanks.

A great Long range rifle/cartridge Is the 280 Remington. Excellent bullet selection and ballistics in
the 7 mms. Very reasonable recoil with 140 to 160 grain bullets. And with a Medium weight
barrel and a good muzzle brake it will recoil less than a 243 with much more long range capability.

Plus the ammo is very reasonable and easy to load for and if you still have a 30/06 action the 280
will feed perfectly without any action mods.

J E CUSTOM

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Sorry to hear about your problem ... it turns out OK.

You might also consider a long range handgun/specialty pistols with muzzle brake in a rifle chambering, one in 6.5/.264 would be great. With the outstretch arms, the neck is further away from the impact and it can absorb felt recoil better than the shoulders.

Good luck!

Ed

J E Custom, thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with that round. I'll get out my books and check it out.

The only '06 action I have left is my grandpa's 1970 model browning bar. NOT going to mess with that one!

But, eventually I get used actions coming through my sporting goods store I own, so it may take awhile but getting my hands on a good action to build off of ain't to difficult. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

FEENIX,

Yep, I ain't just a rifle snob. I'll shoot anything!

I seen a really nice used contender at a local gunshow I set up at this weekend.....let it pass in favor of a high standard field king pistol instead since I'm kinda trying to collect the whole range of them.

I know it ain't really considered LRH, but the Ruger Charger is a nice little pistol as well for squirrels and crows...providing you can find the ammo right now. :D

Did make a trade with one of my better customers who is into LRH. He wanted the new Ruger m77 in 6.5 creedmore I had. Traded for his NEF handi rifle in .22 hornet. He had installed a Choate stock and forearm, Mueller scope, cheap bipod and duracoated the NEF. Cool looking gun. He said that it is a real shooter for what it is. May have to bring it home and find out.....esp. if it doesn't sell real quick! :rolleyes:

I remember a Bill Cosby story about having his tonsils out; The Dr. told him after surgery he could have all the ice cream he wanted. He forgot to tell him he wasn't going to want any. Neck fusions are a lot like that. It sounds like you have access to a variety of rifles coming through your shop, so discovering your limit should be doable. The Ruger you mentioned in 6.5 Creedmore would be interesting, especially if it was in the target version they made. I have a fusion, and they tell me I need another. From a mechanical standpoint I have no concerns about screws backing out with recoil. The headache the rest of the day can be a bear though. The key is weight, bullet weight and rifle weight. In my 338 RUM the 180 grain Accubond will run 3500 fps, and recoil is diminished a lot from heavier bullets. I am adding a heavier scope and stock almost 2lbs worth. If I ever rebarrel it the barrel will weigh more also. Straighter stocks help, and adjustable cheekpieces make sense as you aren't chasing a cheek weld as much. Getting your head positioned easily, and consistently will make for better shooting sessions. As JE custom said a good muzzle brake is worth a lot. I just got a thumbhole stock to get better control and take up some of the recoil in my hand like Feenix is talking about. If 100-110 grains is all you think you can handle, there are plenty of cartridges standard and wildcat that will drive them fast enough for deer size game at 600 yards. The same goes for the .25, 6.5's, and 7mm's. Decide how much bullet weight your physiology is capable of, then take advantage of the physics, and mechanical advantages available in modern rifle systems. Good Luck.

you do not say where you are or if you reload. a 6mmbr or a 9 twist 22-250 would be great for coyote or target. i prefer a remington with a krieger but savage make a couple pretty good ones. from what you say the heavier the better.

I have 6BR with 16lbs rifle. Minimal recoil.

My 11 yrs old daughter shoots 6BR and she was laughing!!! :)

I also suggest 6.5 caliber, like 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 or 243 Win.
You can add some weight on the rifle to reduce the recoil.

Either an Encore or a Contender in a long range caliber or get a sled and clamp a big one down. No recoil there.

I thought they put threadlocker on those screws...............................:D:D

Thanks to all who have replied or pm'd. Gives me lots to think about and consider.

I am by no means a cripple, but I do like the use of my limbs. :D

Forgot to mention where I'm located and haven't went and added the info on my profile.

I live in South Central Missouri, so the deer ain't huge but they are getting bigger as more food plots are used than there used to be.

1000 yard shots are rare here....too many hills. 600 yards....well according to my range finder I do have several opportunities here on the farm from my back porch!

Thanks again! Looking forward to participating here.

just my two cents, I have a savage lrp in 260 rem that has no recoil what so ever. Kicks about like a 223. Not expensive and a tack driver. This rifle shoots as good as any of my customs. Ive taken many whitetail 500 yards and in with it. Just food for thought. Take care.

just my two cents, I have a savage lrp in 260 rem that has no recoil what so ever. Kicks about like a 223. Not expensive and a tack driver. This rifle shoots as good as any of my customs. Ive taken many whitetail 500 yards and in with it. Just food for thought. Take care.

+1 on the 260. I have a 260 that shoots the 140 berger with great accuracy and recoil is non existent. I shot a deer at 750 with mine last year. It has more than enough energy to take deer at long range and you can load it with 95 grain v-max's and go predator hunting with it as well. Good luck

Brandon

My Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 Norma has a great factory brake on it. It shoots awesome and has near no recoil with the brake. I would compare the recoil to about an AR-15. And the 6.5-284 will shoot accurately to 1000 yards when you decide to stretch a little further than 600.

Thanks to all who have replied or pm'd. Gives me lots to think about and consider.

I am by no means a cripple, but I do like the use of my limbs. :D

Forgot to mention where I'm located and haven't went and added the info on my profile.

I live in South Central Missouri, so the deer ain't huge but they are getting bigger as more food plots are used than there used to be.

1000 yard shots are rare here....too many hills. 600 yards....well according to my range finder I do have several opportunities here on the farm from my back porch!

Thanks again! Looking forward to participating here.
I would stick with the 6.5's, put a good brake on it like the Snowy Mountain Rifles brake, and a weight of 8-10lbs depending on how much toting you are going to do.

6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem, 6.5x284 in that order from lesser to greater recoil. All of them are very mild especially running the 130gr bullets and out to 600yds they are all more than capable of taking deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.