Cleaning problem

skip AI

G'day,

I was ceaning my .257 this arvo and after 2 hrs of cleaning I could not get out this white coloured substance that was in the barrel.
I assume that it is just copper fouling that is showing up white because of the sweets 7.62, I got most of it out but now something wierd is happening.
When I feed my bronze brush through you can feel all the bumps of it hitting the rifling, does this mean my brush has worn out?
I tried another one I had that looks to be a little thicker (not as worn) and got the same result, what is goin on?

TIA

I would highly recommend that you stop using Sweets 7.62 for regular bore cleaning. Even if you do not let the cleaner sit in the bore long, over time you will etch the finish of your bore with this solvent. Just to **** aggressive.

I only use it in worst cases where there is dramatic copper build up.

Also, you need some nylon brushes with this solvent.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Any ideas on the colour (its white like paper)?

There was heaps more when I started and now there is only a great white smudge left, it was not there before I shot the rifle and it seems to be cleaning out.

What about the brush?

What do you reccomend I use instead of sweets?

cheers

If Sweets has ammonia in it and you give it enough time to dry, it will give you a white pasty substance. Patch it out w/a non ammonia solvent and I bet your white goo will go away.

[ QUOTE ]

What about the brush?

What do you reccomend I use instead of sweets?

cheers [/quote/]

I like either Coppermelt,or Buth's Boreshine and use a nylon brush.Also as mentioned earler Sweets will dry so you will need to use another cleaner such as Hoppes,Buth's Boreshine,Shooters Choice,etc to liquify the sweets inorder to get it out

Thanks for the replies, So you think the sweets has eaten the brushes away enough so when sent down the bore they do not have a thick enough diameter to make contact with both sides of the bore therefore not spinning?

cheers

Sweets is very strong ammonia. If it will remove copper from your bore, it will remove copper from the brush. I have used Sweets for years on my BR barrels and never experienced a problem with etching. I use it after cleaning with Kroil/Shooters Choice, and never leave it in the bore longer than 15 min. I apply the Sweetsa with bore mops, which are then washed out for future use.

[ QUOTE ]
Sweets is very strong ammonia. If it will remove copper from your bore, it will remove copper from the brush. I have used Sweets for years on my BR barrels and never experienced a problem with etching. I use it after cleaning with Kroil/Shooters Choice, and never leave it in the bore longer than 15 min. I apply the Sweetsa with bore mops, which are then washed out for future use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aqueous ammonia strength is measured in density (Baume), with 26 degrees Baume the max under STP. Sweets is pretty weak compared to 26 Baume, but considered strong for most bore/ammoniacal cleaners. Ammonia evaporates pretty quickly, but you shouldn't be using a brass/copper brush with Ammonia.

I agree with FiftyDriver. Use Sweets or other ammoniacal product if you have a clearly identified copper problem.

I've talked to several metallurgical engineers who agree with FiftyDriver and insist ammonia will etch stainless steel. I've also consulted the most famous ammoniacal chemist on the planet(with my experiment to prove/disprove this assertion). The first thing he pointed out was all the flaws in my experiment and each new proposed one. We finally came up with a good test. When pressed for his opinion "will ammonia etch stainless steel", his only response "do the test". Since that time, I stick with Butch's Bore Shine Altho BBS has ammonia, it's not nearly as caustic as sweets. Here is what my favorite guru (who once sent me an email once saying Kirby was a great gunsmith & would do an excellent job with my 3 new barrels)

Our preferred cleaning solvent is Butch's Bore Shine made by BBS Industries (406-652-2495). This solvent is excellent at attacking both powder and copper fouling. We recommend it for both break-in and regular cleaning.

For occasional use only, abrasives like J-B paste, Flitz, or RemClean can be used.

Do not use a stainless steel brush in your barrel under any circumstances.

Do not apply a strong copper remover, like Sweets, on a bronze brush. It will ruin the brush and give the false indication that the barrel has copper in it.

Lilja on Barrel Maintenance

For me it doesn't get any better than Lilja. Engineer, BR shooter, LRH - everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.