recoil problem....

The problem with something like this or something like the Knoxx stock is having enough eye relief with a hard kicking scoped rifle. You would be asking to get kissed by the scope unless it has extended eye relief.

Ha ha ha never experienced that, and don't think I ever want to. I have shot a shotgun with the Knoxx stock and couldn't imagine a heavily kicked riflescope getting the jump on me. I could see me dodging the scope like a stuff jab, probably develop a flinch from it.

See I'm wondering how well it would work. There's ways to keep your stock length still correct but you think they'd have some kind of cover over those springs and rods so that it wouldn't pinch or have that open spot.

I'd like to hear from someone who has one on their rifle. They shoot a 375 H&H Magnum with one and it reduced it to about a 30-06

Outdoorsman, hope the neck gets better. Perhaps the choice of a previously suggested caliber and the addition of a good muzzle brake would be the ticket. My 9 year old grandson enjoys shooting my 30/378 Weatherby with a brake. He is although timid when trying an un-braked .270 Win. or 30-06. Good health and good luck.

I have 6BR with 16lbs rifle. Minimal recoil.

My 11 yrs old daughter shoots 6BR and she was laughing!!! :)

I also suggest 6.5 caliber, like 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 or 243 Win.
You can add some weight on the rifle to reduce the recoil.

Bingo! You don't have to make it really heavy, but a little extra weight will do wonders. Think about a suppressor too, they'll act as a muzzle break with the advantage of reducing the report.

See I'm wondering how well it would work. There's ways to keep your stock length still correct but you think they'd have some kind of cover over those springs and rods so that it wouldn't pinch or have that open spot.

I'd like to hear from someone who has one on their rifle. They shoot a 375 H&H Magnum with one and it reduced it to about a 30-06
I shoot a Ruger .375 Ruger that I put the North West Precision slotted brake on and it's a puppy now.

I shoot a Ruger .375 Ruger that I put the North West Precision slotted brake on and it's a puppy now.

It's been so long since I've shot something with a Muzzle Brake and I keep hearing that brakes are the best way to go. It seems like it as long as you have a good set of easy to equip earplugs.

It's been so long since I've shot something with a Muzzle Brake and I keep hearing that brakes are the best way to go. It seems like it as long as you have a good set of easy to equip earplugs.
The North West Precision Muzzle Brakes are actually very effective and easy on the ears. Much more so than any others I have tried.

Yes you should wear ear plugs with or without a brake but in a pinch I'm not afraid to shoot any of my rifles equipped with it if I don't have time to put in the plugs.

243, 260, 6.5 credmore are all great choices. Someone mentioned the 25-06 (that's one of my personal favorites)
The 7mm-08 has taken my house by storm.
My wife has a shoulder replacement (artificial/cadaver tissue) and she loves her little browning x-bolt in 7mm-08.
My 13 year old daughter and 12 year old step son both have 7mm-08s.

Excellent suggestions on a number of calibers!

+1 on the 243, the 7mm, the 264, and the 6.5's. All are excellent choices with very little recoil from out of the box.

Since the objective here is to minimize recoil AND increase your long range capabilities, one caliber stands out above all others for me. The 7mm-08 has all the ballistic advantages of the 308, but outperforms the 308 and does it with lower grain bullets, further reducing felt recoil for similar results out past 1000 yards. The 7mm-08 with a 140 grain bullet will offer felt recoil similar to the 243 you are familiar with. While the 243 can be harder on barrel life, the 7mm-08 is very easy on barrels.

For the combination of long range accuracy and very low recoil it is very hard to beat the 7mm-08. If you add recoil-reducing features like a muzzle break, recoil pad, and overall gun weight (it's amazing what 1 pound of added weight will do for a gun in this caliber) you can literally reduce the recoil to that of slightly more than a .22 and still have the reach out past 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.