Cleaning

Sean223

Hi guys.
I use a snake bore for cleaning my rifle. I sometimes yous a copper salutation to get the coper out. Is that a bad way of cleaning my rifle. It's a 223.

Just my two cents but I prefer a bore guide and a quality cleaning rod so I can scrub the fouling out. I generally go to the bore snake when in the field as it does not take up much space.

Shoot true my friend.

I use foaming bore cleaner and repeat until it runs clear.

I'll then rod it out with a patch a few times to ensure that it is.

If I don't run clean I repeat until I do.

The less you use a cleaning rod the better.

I also use a foam cleaner, It usually take 2-3 applications but it works without scrubbing most of the time. But some days I might have a high round count, then I use a bronze brush with the foam. I just use the foam as directed and instead of patching it out I use the brush for about 50 strokes then patch it out. I do this with the last application of the foam.

PS. DONT get over spray of the foam on your reloading components, I didn't realize I over sprayed and my hand loads got some on them and it deteriorated the jackets I pulled them and tossed them.( Bummer)

I'll get in on the op. I posted regarding a cleaning rod, what is the negative of the cleaning rod. I grew up cleaning at the bench with a rod and patches. Thank you.

I sometimes yous a copper salutation to get the coper out. Is that a bad way of cleaning my rifle.
I would say yes, a "salutation" is a salute or greeting; it would invite the copper to stay.
Instead, I would go with something like, "Copper, depart from these lands, and never return hither!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D

What kind of foam cleaner do you boys use. I bought a benchmark barrel for my first full custom and read an article the owner recommends a foam cleaner vs scrubbing all the time. So just looking into what works the best for people.

Matt

I'll get in on the op. I posted regarding a cleaning rod, what is the negative of the cleaning rod. I grew up cleaning at the bench with a rod and patches. Thank you.
You will hear mixed opinions on this subject. I believe if you use a high quality one piece rod with a high quality bore guide you can clean without damage. But with the new foam cleaners I don't see a reason to take the risk of damaging the lead or rifling..

Matt, Wipe Out foam works very well along with a Lucas bore guide and Dewey rod. Some rough barrels may need a JB bore paste treatment when new.

Damage to the throat and crown primarily.

All of us over probably 35 grew up cleaning with them. Gun cleaning technology has advanced mightily since then.

I use gun slick foam exclusively.
Then I use safari lands CLP break free as a lube. It seems to penetrate the metal. After a few applications moving parts seem to become smoother..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.