Recoil Bedding; Attempt on HMR

Last pic reaffirms my belief in using JB weld as a bedding compound. Nice job! I assume that it was JB Weld Steel. I use Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent. One package of JB weld epoxy & hardener (2 tubes) is enough for most bedding jobs - cheap at less than $10. I have used JB Weld Steel at temps over 400 deg F to fix stuff and it has not failed.
I've only ever done 4 , but JB Weld is all I have ever used and I've never had any problems.

I bedded one with Devcon 4 days ago. This is what it should look like. This is with the action just removed and prior to clean up. The pillar bedding job Bergara does is really poor. The pillars are too small, often have overspray on them and are not contoured for a good fit to the action. There is also a lot of void in the rest of the bedding. This, and bedding the tang, really shrank the groups.
image000000[1].jpg

Thank you. I will try to sand it down and add more epoxy to the recess.
The second picture is better but still not right. I would recommend starting over from scratch. If you use a hair dryer you can heat the JB and completely remove it quite easily.

Another example, this one is a CZ in pocess of being cleaned up..

20220201_085530[1].jpg

The second picture is better but still not right. I would recommend starting over from scratch. If you use a hair dryer you can heat the JB and completely remove it quite easily.

Another example, this one is a CZ in pocess of being cleaned up..

View attachment 424383

Thank you although I am going to call it good. The recoil lug is now very tight in the bedded recess. With the action screws removed, there is zero back and forth and side to side movement, which ultimately is the objective. I also confirmed barrel is free floating. I will see how it shoots before starting over.

You talked about checking to see if the action is rocking. That suggest to me that you used the action screws to tighten it down and I don't do that. I used headless screws to fill the holes but always tightened the actions down by wrapping with surgical tubing. If it was a radical job where I hogged out a lot of material and was rebuilding the area I often used a thickness of a business card or two around the barrel at the forend to keep the action on centre while it is drying.

It's not the sliding back and forth that's usually a problem. I don't bed in front of the recoil lug. I hope it shoots good but if it don't, I'd be suspicious of the bedding

What do you think the issue is with the HMR stock? My understanding is there is a large amount of play in that lug because the recess is much larger.

Thank you although I am going to call it good. The recoil lug is now very tight in the bedded recess. With the action screws removed, there is zero back and forth and side to side movement, which ultimately is the objective. I also confirmed barrel is free floating. I will see how it shoots before starting over.
Definitely shoot it but just a bit of information. The point of bedding an action in this way is to have as perfectly even pressure on hte bottom and sides of the action as possible. That, along with the action not moving in the stock, is what produces those tiny little groups everyone is chasing. Uneven pressure on the various parts of the action will cause it to torque unevenly when fired. You cannot feel that torque but it is happening. With the Recoil lug bedded in a different Bergara, a very tight fit of the recoil lug, no movement or rock by hand, take a look at what was happening at the tang. There is still enough torque on the action under firing, 6.5 PRC, to gouge the relatively soft stock material Bergara uses. You can see the indents, and on the bottom of the tang itself, stock material from the tang moving, after only 20 rounds.

This is how I decided that Bergara need to be done at the lug and the tang both. Hope this helps.

image000000(1)[1].jpg
image000001[1].jpg
image000002[1].jpg

Definitely shoot it but just a bit of information. The point of bedding an action in this way is to have as perfectly even pressure on hte bottom and sides of the action as possible. That, along with the action not moving in the stock, is what produces those tiny little groups everyone is chasing. Uneven pressure on the various parts of the action will cause it to torque unevenly when fired. You cannot feel that torque but it is happening. With the Recoil lug bedded in a different Bergara, a very tight fit of the recoil lug, no movement or rock by hand, take a look at what was happening at the tang. There is still enough torque on the action under firing, 6.5 PRC, to gouge the relatively soft stock material Bergara uses. You can see the indents, and on the bottom of the tang itself, stock material from the tang moving, after only 20 rounds.

This is how I decided that Bergara need to be done at the lug and the tang both. Hope this helps.

View attachment 424389View attachment 424391View attachment 424392

Yes this does help! Honestly, if this bed job I did doesnt help, I might look at a KRG Bravo stock for Rem 700 SA.

What do you think the issue is with the HMR stock? My understanding is there is a large amount of play in that lug because the recess is much larger.
Dean2 explains what I've found. Not just bergara. The slop in n the recessed area in front of the recoil lug shouldn't be effecting accuracy in my opinion unless it's like a weatherby where the action screw literally goes into the recoil lug. Took me a couple tries to get that one right. Even the sides of the lug is debatable and I think it can depend on the cartridge and how much torque your barrel is putting on things. I've had a chassis shoot extremely good with a lot of slop all around the lug except where it butted up to it