Rechamber 223 to 222 Rem Magnum question/help/feedback

440coronet

Wondering if anyone has experience or feedback regarding the potential of rechambering a .223 to .222 Mag I know there isn't a lot of difference I have a nice .223 Remington VS barrel in .223 and am personally more fond of the .222 and .222 Mag chamberings We all like what we like...
Also any recommendation for a gunsmith to do so if you have a good one
Thanks LLR members....

Central Wis
Thank you for the feedback
Just trying to get some honest feedback and experiences
Also at this time trying to stay away from the run-away-train build saga
I'm mainly a pleasure and varmint shooter. Not chasing the .0001 group dream

There are a couple of threads here which address this subject of re-chambering with some very astute observations. It can go both ways with like/dislike. Mostly the gunsmiths dislike it because of the potential damage which can occur to a very expensive reamer from existing carbon and fouling.

The other drawback is the length of the tenon which is left from the factory threading. Most will advocate that the barrel be set back in order to get enough new metal for the new throat and freebore. There isn't a lot of breech length metal to grab onto for machining. It can be done but it's a nuisance.

Here is a link to a list of Wisconsin gunsmiths:

https://www.usacarry.com/directory/category/gunsmiths/wisconsin-gunsmiths/

Call some of the ones in your area to see if they can help you.

Regards.

The 222 mag has slightly less case capacity (1 Grain) in most powders than the 223 so It would not be worth the re-chamber in my opinion.

Setting back one thread and cutting a new 223 AI chamber gains almost 10% increase in powder capacity and 100 to 200 ft/sec velocity gain and if done like Ackley recommends, you can shoot standard 223 Rem ammo or the AI version.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.