Rechamber a 223 Rem to 223 Ackley??

You realy can't do this in an Encore barrel as the barrel will have to be set back some , a 223 Ackley reamer can be run in their a little deeper giving you somwhat of a Gibbs style chamber but I woulden't reccomend doing that , you best be would be to either ream it to 22-250 Ai or get another barrel.
the True Ackely chamberes are a little bit shorter at the nech shoulder junction than the factory this allows you to fire factroy ammo with no worry of excessive headspace.

With the Gibbs desgine the whole shoulder is blown forward some this both increases case capacity and shortens the neck some. On the Encore you have the extractor holding the case in place to the firingpin won't knock it forward and their realy isin't a down side to this desgie other than needing to fire form your brass before you shoot any normal loads because of the excessive headspace , their is also the possibility of splitting some necks.

I know a three guys that did this with the 25-05 barrels they had two of them rechambered to 25-300 win mag and the other to 257Wby as they diden't like the fireforming

I agree with James, but another method that works with the captive extractor is seating the bullet into the lands and using a mild (not max load) fireforming the brass. This is similar to the JDJ method of fireforming brass.

My friend has a Encore from JDJones at SSK Industries in a .338 JDJ and he uses 35 Whelen brass to form his brass. He makes a False shoulder, by necking down, to head space off of then fire forming and had excellent results with this. I know that this would be tough with a .223 Rem, but a 6mm/.223 Die could be used to neck up then re- neck down to do this same method with a Gibbs Style Chamber.

Another Alternative is to sell the exhisting bbl and get a premium after market bbl from Eabco, Bullberry, or SSK there are others that make high quality bbls, but I've had experience with with those others and would put Eabco on the top of the list.

If you could get enough out of the old bbl, the cost of re-chambering your exhisting bbl would be pretty close to the final cost on the custom bbl. Those guys also guarantee the accuracy of their bbls.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.