rechamber 223 to 221fireball

loaders_loft

Gunsmiths, would it work to rechamber a 223 rem 700 or howa varmint contour into a 221 fireball? Finding a heavy barrel 221 fireball is not easy....

As long as there's enough barrel shank, the re-chamber can be done. I didn't go look at the dimentions, but, seems to me new threads will have to be cut because of the difference in case length. When a barrel has to be shortened and new threads cut along with cutting and head spacing the chamber most charge the same as fitting & chambering a custom tube which makes it not worth the cost of the conversion when using a factory barrel.

Gunsmiths, would it work to rechamber a 223 rem 700 or howa varmint contour into a 221 fireball? Finding a heavy barrel 221 fireball is not easy....

Not trying to change your mind but had you thought about a 223 AI ?

The 221 fireball is down on powder capacity compared to the 223 and the 223 AI
can be fire formed with standard 223 rounds.

As you know the 223 is some of the cheepest ammo available and when you fire form it to
the Ackley it adds up to 200ft/sec to the 223 with light bullets and 150 ft/sec with the heavy
ones.

It is a strait forward re chamber job with little or no set back required.

The 223 Ackley Improved is a way to have a wild cat and still shoot 223 factory ammo. And
they are very accurate with ether the 223 ammo or the 223 AI Loads.

Ammo for the fireball is hard to find or non existent.

I varmint hunt with my 223 AI using the standard 223 ammo and I will shoot .400 groups
while fire forming. (Plenty accurate for larger varmints) and for serious accuracy and velocity
I use the Ackley with great success.

I have bought some Lapua brass in 223 and fire formed it and it seems to be indestructible.

Just something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

after all that consideration I finally stumbled onto a 221 fireball LVSF at a reasonable price. I should have it into my hands in a couple weeks. Dies are on the way, and I've got a few different 22 cal bullets and some lilgun on hand already.

the point is to have a lower capacity varmint rifle for prolonged shooting or nearby town. The 22-250's get hot in a hurry if there are a bunch of little critters around...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.