Re: Rechamber 222 to 22-250

kfrye

I am looking at picking up a 40-x in 222 and was wondering if the bolt face could be opened up to take a 22-250? The rifle has been rebarreled so it would not be like I would be mollesting something OE.

Yep , any decient smith can do that. I've rechambered several Savage 223 barrels to 22-250 Ackley with great success , just gonna swap the boltnheads and rechamber , or in your case open the bolt face.

Not sure what your wanting this rig to do but I assume that it has a pretty slow twist in the barrel since most guy that chamber for a 222 don't look to shoot realy heavy bullets.

If its got a 1-10 or slower then the 55gr and lighter bullet are gonna shoot bets out of it and in this case you might want to look at rechambering to the 223 Ackley , for several reasons.

The bullet weights for a slower twist barrel don't realy need the 22-250's case capacity to get them to shoot realy fast so the added powderd would only lead to faster barrel burnout

Lapue makes 223 brass , after the case is formed you'll get a decient just in velocity and the brass will last ALOT longer with less trimming.

You would not have to alter the gun other than the barrel

Just some thoughts based on if the barrel is a slower twist ,but it maybe a fast twist like 1-8 or so ,then the 22-250 would make alot more sense

I've been shooting 55 gr. ballistic tips and 55 gr. spitzers out of my 22-250 and, my 22 BR for years. They are both 14 twist barrels.

I am not really sure what the 222 is set up for, or the twist- but it has been rebarreled at RW Hart by a previous owner. May have had some bench rest duty in its life. The gun is sitting in a local shop. I was thinking about having the gun for some paper punching and varmints, but I'm not crazy about being limited in yardage from the little I've read on the 222. I like the gun a lot, and just what to have an out if I can't bring myself to sell it down the line. I have a 22-250 now and love it, and have always wanted a 40-X.

Here's an idea -leave the boltface alone and rebarrel to a 20 caliber barrel .

Go w/ the '20 practical' cartridge -take 223 lapua brass and neck it down to .204 and shoot paper and varmints w/ less recoil and blast.
It will outperform a 22-250 and there is no shortage of bullets -bergers-hornady-nosler-wildcat- and many boutique bullet makers out there.
Want a little more performance -20-223AI -don't want to do anything -just load up some ammo 20 tactical from lapua.
The 20's are here to stay and have a huge following of guys who whack varmints out to 5oo-6oo yds and are doing very good in benchrest competitions around the country.

I read about the new extreme 20 -a 20-250AI -acheives velocities in the 45oo-46oo fps range and will go over 1ooo rounds accurately.PURE DEATH on coyotes w/ minimal pelt damage......Just an idea for ya.........-Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts