rebarreling questions

fisherman98

i was looking at rebarreling my Remington 700 30-06. i am looking at either a Shilen or pac-nor they both have the same standers and have about the same price. Do yall have any experience or information on either? Also i am just overwhelmed on what twist i should get and what grain size i should use, i will be hunting white tail deer, hogs, and an elk one day hopefully, shooting at the range a lot. I usually use 150 grain but thats just what grain my rifle likes and if their is a better one i would like to get it.

I will assume you are rebarreling and keeping the same caliber, 30.06. If so, an 11 twist is your best bet for bullets up to 200 grains.

I have both pacnor and shilen. My 30.06 has a fluted Pacnor, 22" #3 stainless and I am happy with it. One of my Shilen's is on a 300 RUM.

My 308 is an 11 twist Obermeyer.

Frankly, I recommend you go with a 3 groove or a 5R barrel in whichever barrel maker provides these.

What caliber are you going to rebarrel to? Going back to 30-06 or something like a 338-06, 30-06 Ackley, 280 Ackley, 280 rem, 270, 6.5-06 or 25-06. Any of those would be possible with no bolt face work and are the same length so should work in you action.

I have a Pac-Nor 3 groove in 375 Ruger and am impressed. Rebarreled a friend's gun for him with a Shilen and it is a shooter. Also have rebarreled guns with Douglas, Brux and Hart barrels and all of them are shooters. Krieger certainly has a great name but you have to wait on one a long time. Once you get to the better aftermarket barrels like Shilen or Pac-Nor then the gunsmithing has as much or more effect on it's accuracy than the barrel itself. If you were rebarreling for a benchrest then there are some barrels and gunsmiths that are considered the very top but in a hunting gun the difference would be minimal to unnoticeable.

As far as twist that will depend upon the caliber and bullet you want to set the gun up for. Most of the time you set the gun up to shoot the heavier bullets and it will shoot heavy and light bullets. If you choose a slow twist then you would have a problem if you ever wanted to shoot the heavier bullets. For a 30-06 it is generally 1 in 10 for all. My 280 Ackley Hart barrel is a 1 in 8 because I shoot the 160 gr bullet. There are charts at most of the barrel makers. I usually go to Sisk Rifles page

Barrel Twist

If you are a reloader then IMO you can't beat the 280AI for an all around caliber but any of them are good.

Woods, Krieger actually has quite a list of barrels available on their website. It's possible to find a bbl that will do. I called them a year or so ago and they had 4 barrels in stock that I wanted. I had the barrels at my door 3 days later.

I for some reason didn't think i could do the 280AI but it looks like i can. How is the accuracy with the 280AI. I am going to get into reloading here very soon so i could do the 280AI. What would the difference be between the 30-06 and the 280AI?

i was looking at rebarreling my Remington 700 30-06. i am looking at either a Shilen or pac-nor they both have the same standers and have about the same price. Do yall have any experience or information on either? Also i am just overwhelmed on what twist i should get and what grain size i should use, i will be hunting white tail deer, hogs, and an elk one day hopefully, shooting at the range a lot. I usually use 150 grain but thats just what grain my rifle likes and if their is a better one i would like to get it.

Lilja has a .308 dia. 1 in 10 twist #4 contour in stock that will handel any bullet you chose.

You could have it in a week. and you won't regret it.

Lilja makes one of the best barrels money can buy and only one quality.(The best)

Look at the in stock barrels on Lilja's web site.

J E CUSTOM

I for some reason didn't think i could do the 280AI but it looks like i can. How is the accuracy with the 280AI. I am going to get into reloading here very soon so i could do the 280AI. What would the difference be between the 30-06 and the 280AI?

You can build any of these with the current action you have:

6.5x284, 338-06, 270, 280, add (AI) also, 25-05, 6.5-06, and likely many more.

As for the 280AI, it is certainly an interesting caliber. I finally opted not to build one. It won't do anything my 30.06, 270, or 7mm Rem mag won't do, despite the fact that I do like the "wow" factor that comes with it.

both are great companies. I have 3 pacnor barrels and they are all shooters. Give Penny a call and she can take if from they. good turn around to. Another good barrel guy is benchmark barrels. phone 360-652-2594.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.