Rebarreling .223

jpbaker

My stevens 200 or .223 has been decent 2 me, i am able to get sub MOA easily with handloads. However, the little 22" sporter factory barrel isent cutting it anymore. It still shoots fine, but im wanting a bit more consistancy.

So, i was looking on midway, and was seeing the ER SHAW barrels. I know kind of a budget barrel, and the shilen barrels are reasonably priced as well. So, i decided to go with shilen varmint contour

Now, the question, im considering changing to 22/250 1:8. I do yotes, and am a bit concerned about fur with the 22/250. The reason for the 1:8 is i want the option of 70+ grn pills for whitetale. (tsx, ttsx, partitions, or bergers)

So, do you folks think a heaver pill from a 22/250 is gonna be 2 destructive on yotes.

Tks
JPB

I'm guessing you're probably already aware of this but don't forget the bolt face/case head diameter is bigger on a 22-250 than it is on your .223 so it will be a little more involved than a simple barrel/chambering swap.

I contemplated making one of my .223's into a 22-250 last fall. I ended up going with a .223 Ack. Imp. Shawn Carlock w/Defensive Edge put a Hart 1-9 on it and the little bugger shoots better than ANYTHING I own. With fireforming loads it shoots 3shot .1's at 100yds with factory loaded Hornady Superformance 53Vmax.

It's kind of stealthy looking.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 114
Yeah, im aware of the bolt face issue, but that isnt hard to do.....or is it? Isent it basically taking bolt apart and changing heads?

Also, were i live in Canada, good gunsmiths are hard to come by. There is a gunsmith not to far from me, but he is slow, and his work is nothing special.

TKS,
JPB

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend that rebarreled his 243 to a 223. and said that even after swapping bolt heads, the bolt was not long enough and he needed to get a new bolt.

If rebarreling from a 223 to a 22-250 is gonna require alot of bolt modification besides the bolt head swap, I will prob just go with a new .223 barrel...

PLS chime in and enlighten melightbulb

TKS
JPB

It should just be a simple bolt head swap, all short action bolts are the same. Where did your friend get a longer bolt and why did he need it?

It should just be a simple bolt head swap, all short action bolts are the same.

This is what I thought, but dont have much experience with this stuff. I believe that he ended up rebarreling it to another cal. due to the issues.

Maybe he was trying a SA bolt in a LA, I dunno I will ask him.....

TKS JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.