rangefinders beyond 1500yards

With nothing coming close, the best I have ever used is the Leica Viper. We use them in the Air Force and would consistently range to over 6 miles easily. The coolest thing you can do with these is attach the mil GPS, range your target and it will give you the GPS coordinates of that target. It gives you the angle up or down and also the direction in Magnetic north towards your target. I ordered a pair for my section in 2003 and used to take them hunting to "stay proficient" with their use. :)

I remember them as part of the TACP Modernization and IIRC, they are $10K a pop.

ADDED:

Part of acquisition contract were the Mark VIIs. Not sure of it range capabilities but a Mark VII is worth anywhere between $45,000 and $75,000.

Last edited:
Roger that. As far as I know, TAC-P's & Combat Control still use them to call in airstrikes on targets. There's a Leica Vector on Ebay for sale that was used by the Secret Service but it looks pretty rough and they want $999 for it. I sent the seller a message asking if they would work if a battery was inserted but they haven't responded. I believe the Vector is the same as the viper but without the GPS capability.

For calling in a $80k worth of ordnance......What a bargain. For ranging an elk......not so much. Interesting none the less.

I agree with Broz, IMO If you are serious about shooting past 1500 yards and are going to be doing it often go with the Terrapin. I have a Swaro and its OK out to 1500 yards on large targets. But If you are going to be ranging smaller objects at that distance accurately for the possibility of first round hits, not have to wait for low light conditions, and ranging in areas that are semi flat nothing can compare. Now this isn't the most economical and you may not not need a range finder that fills this criteria if you are mostly target shooting and don't mind dialing in then its not a problem. All the range finders mentioned work great out to their effective range, but if your like me if like me target shooting if I shoot 1500 I have to try 2000 and then keeping going till I run out of elevation and mil dots. Look at a 10 yard error at a mile, it will result in a miss on a 1 moa target, not counting wind, shooter, or E.S. error. Its just what will work best for you and what your satisfied with.

Good luck

Does any know what the error is on the terrapin past 2400 yards.

I sure would like some feedback on the new swaro EL range binocs. been using leica geovids and the rangefinder isn't quite as good as I would like it to be, wondering if the swaro RF binocs are a notch up or not. I want to range a coyote everytime beyond 1000 yards.

I played with a friend Swaro el.They out ranged the Lieca most of the time,1600 model.But the Lieca picked up and ranged faster sometimes in the 1200-1400 range when the swaro was having troubles. I had a hard time gettiing rock cliffs or dark tree clumps at 1600-1800. I also did not like the read out in one eye and circle aim in other, or the left hand if I remeber trigger.Felt weird to use.I have els and didnt like the unit that much,for sure not for the price, the Lieca ran with and almost out performed them to 1600.

I'm with Broz. I owned and used both a Bushnell and then later a swaro. My Swaro worked exceptionally well to 1,000-1,200 yards, but never seems to be very copnsistent for me beyond that. I saved my $$$ and got a PLRF10 (they didn't have the Terapin out at thtat time). Amazing piece of gear. I used it out to 2,100 yards in the desert last weekend.

JeffVN

I can't belive I forgot about the Swarovski Laser Guides, they are amazing. The Laser Guides are compact, range in worst of conditions for a LRF, even though they are a Monocular they give great FOV and soft on the eyes, and the glass is unbelievable. I have ranged stuff out to the 1690s.
Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 LRF | Swarovski | Range Finders | OPTICS | CS Tactical

The Swarovski Bino LRFs are extreamly nice also.
Swarovski El Range 10x42 | Swarovski | Range Finders | OPTICS | CS Tactical

The Terapin are amazing for the distance they will Laze. I hand 2 sets myself but sold both units.

Mike CST

In my opinion you are at the same place many of us have been. Buy a PLRF05 (terripin) and be done with it. Or step up to the PLRF10. The satisfaction of being able to range well past 2500 yards in any light will make you wonder why you didn't do it long a go. Sure they are expensive at just under 2K, but when you look at the price of a rifle to shoot that far why would you hadicap the rifle with a lesser unit with a beam divergenct that is the size of a Mack truck at these distances.

I also want to say I have never used one of the Bushnells, but the first one I can get my hands on will go up against my PLRF10 and then I will know if it is reporting accurate readings at 2000,, or if it is just picking up something out there close. A "close range" at 2000 plus will not cut it. You need an accurate reading as every yard becomes very critical when you go these distances.

Seek out the members here that now own a Vectronix. Ask their opinion and if they would do it again. I sure don't see many used ones for sale and there is getting to be quite a few around these days. The last comment I heard on one was while Shawn Carlock and I were shooting to 2550 yards. Right after ranging the rock he had picked out at 2550 he said with his PLRF10 in hand. " Gosh I love this thing"

Jeff

Shawn has a Swaro doubler connected to his PLRF10 which is a great combo. We shot at 2,752 this June with his LRKM. I just got my Vectronix Terrapin today. Ranged a rock at just over 3,000 yards. G7 is my 2nd choice and a good one but no match for the ranging of the Vectronix

Is the PLRF05 as good as the PLRF10 at ranging antelope at 1000 or is the laser better in the 10? I just finished an antelope hunt and was was not happy with the performance of my Swaro RFB 's. They had a tough time ranging goats on the flat brushy terrain. The day was overcast and cloudy, with light rain on and off, they would not range far at all. My 8X30 Swaro's were able to range in those conditions, but were not consistent with the readings. The guy next to me had the Bushnell ARC 1600's and was having the same problems with consistent readings on the goats. I also had problems ranging antelope with the Leica 1200's before and got rid of them, switching to the Swaro 8X30's.

Has anyone tried to range antelope with the PLRF05's? If so, do they work well and how far do the range?

Is the PLRF05 as good as the PLRF10 at ranging antelope at 1000 or is the laser better in the 10? I just finished an antelope hunt and was was not happy with the performance of my Swaro RFB 's. They had a tough time ranging goats on the flat brushy terrain. The day was overcast and cloudy, with light rain on and off, they would not range far at all. My 8X30 Swaro's were able to range in those conditions, but were not consistent with the readings. The guy next to me had the Bushnell ARC 1600's and was having the same problems with consistent readings on the goats. I also had problems ranging antelope with the Leica 1200's before and got rid of them, switching to the Swaro 8X30's.

Has anyone tried to range antelope with the PLRF05's? If so, do they work well and how far do the range?

i got a 3,000 yard reading out of mine the other day. I can range a person at 2200 here in the Denver area - probably can go farther but haven't tried as I have nothing further to range. I have my PLRF05 just over a month. Defiantly the best one i have owned. Have a my Leica 1600 for sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.