Rangefinders beyond 1500 yards

buckbrush

I've been shooting an Edge for over two years and have close to 800 rounds through it. The gun shoots so well that 1000 yards seems like a gimme and 1500 yards is becoming less challenging as well.

I now use a Zeiss PRF that replaced my Leica 1200. The Zeiss will consistently range big rocks to 1300 yards and 1500 in good conditions so it performs a little better than the Leica did however I seem to have grown out of it.

What is the next step up for rangefinders? I'd like something that could take me to 2000 yards. I've heard that the Newcon 3000 is good for rangefinding ability with only fair glass. I'm not concerned with glass quality nearly as much as rangefinding ability. I will keep the Zeiss for hunting purposes. I know the Vectronix products are phenomenal but I just don't see being able to fork out that kind of money as an option anytime soon. I have done a lot of searching on the Newcon products and can't really seem to obtain enough information to make a decision.

Any other options out there that are under or close to $1500.00?

Thanks.

I had a Newcon and sent it back after 2 days, I would range out to and beyond 1500 yards but it was just a pretty junky/plasticy unit. Battery life is pretty short in them as well. It may work for you to just ride around in the rig and shoot rocks but I dont think you would want to take it hunting. I also didnt like the display it was like the old Bushnells.

I run a Newcon 3000 Pro and although the glass is only mediocre, it does have the ability to range considerably further that the Swaro's. If you can find a pair used you might be able to pick theem up in your price range. Listed below are the pros and cons based on my experience

Pros
1) range further than Swaro's
2) veer consistent and accurate range readings

Cons
1) very heavy.. Not something you want to carry around all day around your neck
2) glass is just average

I run a Newcon 3000 Pro and although the glass is only mediocre, it does have the ability to range considerably further that the Swaro's. If you can find a pair used you might be able to pick theem up in your price range. Listed below are the pros and cons based on my experience

Pros
1) range further than Swaro's
2) veer consistent and accurate range readings

Cons
1) very heavy.. Not something you want to carry around all day around your neck
2) glass is just average

How consistently can you range to 2000?

Thanks.

It has been my experience , and several others I shoot with that when you want to consistantly range past 1000~1200 yards on small targets there is only one answer. Vectronix PLRF 10. Not cheap but they will do all that is expected of them with ease in most all conditions to well past 2500 yards. My opinion is that the prices of the Newcons to do this job are getting up there to where I would not feel any small savings would be worth the sacrifise in quality and beam size.

Before I sold off unused rifles, equipment, and extra stuff I didnt use to fund my PLRF10 purchase, I used the Lica CRF1200 and the Swaro Laser Guide. I could get them to do the job to 1500, or at least close, if I attached an old license plate or two on or by the target. If you are only shooting to 1500 and at targets this will get you by. But untill they start making game where license plates the PLRF10 is the answer for hunting. Not cheap... but one of , if not the best investment I have ever made for my long range hunting and shooting. I feel a good RF with a small beam divergence is every bit as important as the rifle for long range success.

Jeff

After talking to another forum member & doing some research, I finally got my PLRF10 the other day all the way from Switzland. :cool:

IMHO Incredible is the best way to describe it.

It cost a lot of $ but I feel it was worth it.

I tryed it against my CRF1200 & Swaro when I got it, out the front at work, towards the sun onto a bulding.
The Swaro was maxed out @ 1064 yards which it hit 5 out of 8 times, the CRF managed the same distance 1 out of 10, the PLRF said Boss that is 1063 & that 1550 & 1830 & 2367 & 2570 & 2787, all the first time except the last one :cool:
I was just leaning against a post the same way with all three.

I had read that you could range a target & then move it a little & get a different reading & that has been my experience, the benefit of a small beam I guess.

I will keep my CRF for day to day hunting & sell my Swaro.

I got the PLRF so I can range steel, targets, etc because during the day when we are normally setting up it is hard to get readings beyond 7-800 with normal rangefinders & using a GPS sucks especially if it is a rock you are shooting at & don't fancy a BIG walk :D

After talking to another forum member & doing some research, I finally got my PLRF10 the other day all the way from Switzland. :cool:

IMHO Incredible is the best way to describe it.

It cost a lot of $ but I feel it was worth it.

I tryed it against my CRF1200 & Swaro when I got it, out the front at work, towards the sun onto a bulding.
The Swaro was maxed out @ 1064 yards which it hit 5 out of 8 times, the CRF managed the same distance 1 out of 10, the PLRF said Boss that is 1063 & that 1550 & 1830 & 2367 & 2570 & 2787, all the first time except the last one :cool:
I was just leaning against a post the same way with all three.

I had read that you could range a target & then move it a little & get a different reading & that has been my experience, the benefit of a small beam I guess.

I will keep my CRF for day to day hunting & sell my Swaro.

I got the PLRF so I can range steel, targets, etc because during the day when we are normally setting up it is hard to get readings beyond 7-800 with normal rangefinders & using a GPS sucks especially if it is a rock you are shooting at & don't fancy a BIG walk :D

I got a quote the other day from Vectronix for the PLRF10 and it was about where I expected it. I think I am just going to save a while longer and do it rather than hope the Newcon will range out at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.