Range test for Hammer black out bullet

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Went to the range this afternoon to test the new Hammer Hunter 101g designed specifically for the AAC Blackout. The bullet is designed to seat fully with the base of the bullet at the neck shoulder junction. Thus allowing full case capacity with out compressing the load.

The rifle used was a Nemo arms with a 1-8" twist topped with a NF scope.

We loaded 21.5g H110 powder with an OAL of 2.032". After starting at 19g and working up in .5g increments. We never did hit high pressure, as we ran out of case and did not want to compress the load. This load runs at 2482 average with an ES of 7fps. This was outstanding. I have to think that if we shot more with the Magnetospeed on this would spread some, but we decided to take it off and zero the rifle and work on the 300y target. We zeroed at 100y and then went to the 300y butt to figure out the drop. Drop was better than I originally guessed. Drop turned out to be just 17". I doped that into my shooting app and came up with a G1 BC of .38. The load was 1.5 moa at 100y and 300y. Well within MOA of deer or pig! We then set up two one gallon milk jugs back to back and set a box of damp newspaper behind that to catch the bullet. Bullet fully expanded in the first milk jug, passed through the second and stopped after 6" of newspaper. This was perfect bullet performance at 300y.

So we showed today that the 300 Blackout can be an effective hunter out to 300 yards very nicely. I was very happy with the range results today.

I will try to get the Hammer 101 Blackout loaded on the web site this weekend. It may not happen till Monday since I really need to try and find a bear on this last weekend of the season.

Steve

Steve, that sounds awesome.

Also, I might have missed it, but what length test barrel was used? And also, was the performance test at 300 yards?

That's awsome. Sounds like I should be a ble to touch 2600fps using lil gun. That's is fast for h110. Sounds like it had plenty of steam at 300. I'll have to take some deer at that distance this year and post some reports.

Steve, that sounds awesome.

Also, I might have missed it, but what length test barrel was used? And also, was the performance test at 300 yards?

The barrel was a 16" 1-8" twist.

Yes the impact test was done at 300y.

It was pretty fun to shoot the little blackout at 300y with consistency.

Steve

Attachments

• 300 blkout Hammer 101.jpeg
    300 blkout Hammer 101.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122
Steve, any plans to test Alliant 300-MP? It's a tad slower than H110, so you might can get lower pressures with the same velocity.

Mud have you yes we that powder against lil gun? I haven't tried it but got 150 to 200 fps more with it over h110 in my .458 and 300blk. Wonder how they compare

I think snox is asking if you have used that powder Mud, and how it compared to lil gun

I have an 8lb'er of 300-MP waiting in the wings, but have never used Hodgdon Lil' Gun, so I cannot give an opinion of how it might compare.

Once I test 300-MP in the BLK and my .357 Magnums, I can give my opinions comparing it to H110. But those are the only magnum pistol powders I have.

Yes was wondering if you had compared them. I was using h110 but then got convinced to try lil gun. It seems much better accurate and faster than 110. Have not heard of the other powder till you mentioned it. I might have to check it out.

I'm not sure how much more I will shoot these 101's. I don't have a blk out. I did learn from my range session that they will do what we designed them to do. Velocity and accuracy are more than good enough to make the blk out a legit 300yard hunter. We just extended the range of a rifle that was designed to shoot no further than a .45 auto to ranges much beyond that.

We did not hit too much pressure with the H110. We ran out of case. I would think you might do better with a bit faster powder. 2500 fps was the goal. We got that with a bit of a compressed load and decided the 24.5g grain load was a better density.

I will get them loaded on the website in the morning and you guys can see how far you can take them. I can't wait to hear about your successes.

Hammer Blackout 101...Let the lesson begin...The professor is in...Class dismissed!!!

Steve

I'm not sure how much more I will shoot these 101's. I don't have a blk out. I did learn from my range session that they will do what we designed them to do. Velocity and accuracy are more than good enough to make the blk out a legit 300yard hunter. We just extended the range of a rifle that was designed to shoot no further than a .45 auto to ranges much beyond that.

We did not hit too much pressure with the H110. We ran out of case. I would think you might do better with a bit faster powder. 2500 fps was the goal. We got that with a bit of a compressed load and decided the 24.5g grain load was a better density.

I will get them loaded on the website in the morning and you guys can see how far you can take them. I can't wait to hear about your successes.

Hammer Blackout 101...Let the lesson begin...The professor is in...Class dismissed!!!

Steve

Well dangit Steve... Don't think it's time you bought one? :D

I built a 300 upper for one of my AR's. But after tinkering with reloading and making my own brass, I think I would be happier, and the cartridge has more potential in a bolt-action rifle... This is what I want next...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/678/products_id/80179

Also, what's the price on a box? I still have some H110 sitting around...

Well dangit Steve... Don't think it's time you bought one? :D

I built a 300 upper for one of my AR's. But after tinkering with reloading and making my own brass, I think I would be happier, and the cartridge has more potential in a bolt-action rifle... This is what I want next...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/678/products_id/80179

Also, what's the price on a box? I still have some H110 sitting around...

I am a bolt guy. :D

I loaded the Hammer 101 BlackOut on the website. They are in Qty of 100 for $110.

Is there any reason to package these in 50 qty?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.