New Hammer range test

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We have been working on a secant ogive bullet since we started making bullets. We originally started the Hammer line with tangent ogive bullets because they are easier to load develop and get to shoot well. We did not want to launch our company with a high bc hard to load for bullet and get a reputation for finicky bullets. So we held off. We designed a new secant ogive bullet and did some impact testing with them and all worked very well for high vel impacts and low vel impacts (down below 1800fps). Today we went to the range with two versions. One in .277 122g for 8" twist and one in .308 195g for 9" twist. We shot the 27 cal in a 27 Nosler. Since we can't leave well enough alone we tried several different powders just to see what we could get out of this bullet. We did get them just over 3800fps but the pressure was a bit too high and the ES was too high as well. We settled on a milder load of Ramshot Magnum at a vel of 3630fps. This load shoots sub 1" at 200y. In fact the last group to zero the rifle was more like 1/2". We then went to the 195g .308. We used a 30-338 Lap imp for this test. Same story with this bullet...We can not leave well enough alone so we worked with several powders again and wound up with a nice load with RL-26 with an average vel of 3581fps. This bullet shot a very nice just under 1" group at 200y.

The kicker to this report is both test rifles shot about 25 rounds of their perspective bullet and they each held all of that load development inside a 3" group at 200y. We never made a seating depth adjustment with either rifle and on top of that we did not even check the seating depth to see how far off the lands we were. Just loaded them and went. It appears that our fears of finicky bullets with a secant ogive were unfounded. The secant ogive on our PDR design actually winds up being a hybrid ogive since the secant ogive comes into the first parabolic band has it's own radius and then becomes tangent. So essentially the PDR is what makes the Hammer Bullets so forgiving to seating depth. They simply don't care, and since the PDR reduces engraving pressure they are simply very easy to load.

Tomorrow we will be headed out to see if we can get some long range shooting in to verify the bc of each of these bullets. If my hunch is correct they will be very high for their weight. I will keep you posted.

Steve

Read more: New Hammer range test | Hammer Time

We were able to get good data with the 195g 30cal yesterday. The .277 did not give us consistent enough data to feel conclusive. We could not see impacts on rock face at 1280y and it was starting to snow.

We got good hits on rocks at 700y, 975y, and 1280y with the 195g .308. Based on our drops we calculate the G7 BC to be .312 and G1 BC to be .65. Very happy with these results. Puts us right there with other top end bullets for bc performance. We were shooting a 4200' elev with a 30-338 Lap imp. Here are the data points used for calculations. The 1280y impacts were the best as we had a very good aim point that both shooter and spotter could make out well. The two closer ranges were slightly more ambiguous.

Rifle was zeroed at 200y, 3500fps at muzzle ave, 3000' elev (did not collect baro pressure)standard atmosphere, 35*F, 50% humidity. Barrel is a 9" twist.

Yesterday data: 4200' elev, 25.22Hg, 25*F, 50% humidity, very light wind.

700y target dialed 8.5 MOA, 975y dialed 15.25 MOA, 1280y dialed 23 MOA. The 1280 rock had a nice smooth face with a good aim point and able to see impacts very well.

All three targets held sub moa impacts very nicely. Any of you want to run the numbers and come up with different data let us know. Our biggest goal with the whole bc thing is to get it close enough for people to get on target and then make their own adjustments. Last thing we want to do is exaggerate things.

We will be trying this same design in the .338 and .375 very soon. Also sending some in 7mm to a friend to test as we do not have on hand a fast enough twist 7.

Steve

Read more: New Hammer range test | Hammer Time

Great stuff. Tagging in.

Very interesting that your PDR seems to be the dominate factor over bullet profile for seating depth.

Very good news Steve !! Can you share any info on the 7mm offering, bullet weight & twist?
I have some of your 177's to try in my rifle once it's completed. This new design could be another
I'd try.
Thx.

Very good news Steve !! Can you share any info on the 7mm offering, bullet weight & twist?
I have some of your 177's to try in my rifle once it's completed. This new design could be another
I'd try.
Thx.

The 7mm came in at 150g and will work best with 8.5 min twist. Sending some out tomorrow to get some data. Based on the others that we have been able to test, low vel impacts should be good. This was our biggest worry with the 1mm hollow point. So far the two that we have tested were good down to 1800fps or lower. The .277 122g bullet was good so the 7mm should be good based on sectional density. The higher sectional density bullets have better performance at low vel. I will post as soon as we get some results. Looks like winter is coming back tonight here in MT. Makes it tough to get out and shoot much.

Steve

We completed design of a .338 and .375 versions last night. Going to do some load development with them today. The 338 came in at 254g and will fully stabilize in a 10" twist and the 375 came in at 388g with full stabilization at 9.5" twist. We also designed a 375 that weighed in at 332g and will stabilize fully in 11.5" twist.

These are all with the secant/hybrid ogive design.

We'll see how far we get today.

Steve

We completed design of a .338 and .375 versions last night. Going to do some load development with them today. The 338 came in at 254g and will fully stabilize in a 10" twist and the 375 came in at 388g with full stabilization at 9.5" twist. We also designed a 375 that weighed in at 332g and will stabilize fully in 11.5" twist.

These are all with the secant/hybrid ogive design.

We'll see how far we get today.

Steve

Excellent. Those 338's are going to be amazing.

Got a little bit of range time yesterday with the 338 254g yesterday. Good news is they shot very well in load development with different powders and varying seating depths. Ran about 25 rounds that varied is vel by 300fps and different seating depths and all landed inside 3" at 200y. This is proving to hold true that the secant ogive on our PDR design does not have any seating depth issues.

Usually we do not mess with seating depth in our loading process. Yesterday we were a bit as the 254g bullet was not able to get max performance due to a short throat in my rifle. We could not get enough of the slow powders in the case and the faster powders would pressure out too quickly. Settled on a load of H1000 for a vel of 3274 fps with sd of 7.5. Then ran out of light. Will load these up and get a good zero and head out to shoot the 1280y rock that we found last Sat to see how the drops look. Still need to shoot this one at low vel to make sure terminal performance is what we expect. Will check high speed impact as well, but this has never been a problem.

Will head back to the short range in the next couple of days to zero the rifle. Thinking I may set up the old shooting chrony at the 200y butt and see if we can collect data from that. Need to be able to see the readout with the spotting scope since there is 2' of snow on the ground that makes the trip back and forth to the target a beech. :D

Oldest son got a call for game damage hunt yesterday and he missed the call. Has to call back this morning and hopefully they did not give away his spot. We may get to go test one on an elk this weekend.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.