Range Finders

fastfire57

What's a good finder that's going to get me out to 2,500yds without breaking the bank. I know buy once cry once.

First off all what's the budget? Some banks are bigger than others if you know what I mean. When you start pushing that range the other tools being used cost a bit more than what is truly needed for <1000 yards. What will you be doing with it? (hunting, targets, varmits?) There's a surplus military rf that will put you out to 8000m for <$500, if you can see it you can range it but its big and heavy. Other than that your looking at $900 or so on up to even push the 1500 yard mark reliably. Otherwise you could send your buddy off on foot with Gps and just have him radio lat/long depending on your map datum it would put you pretty stinking close, lol.

First off all what's the budget? Some banks are bigger than others if you know what I mean. When you start pushing that range the other tools being used cost a bit more than what is truly needed for <1000 yards. What will you be doing with it? (hunting, targets, varmits?) There's a surplus military rf that will put you out to 8000m for <$500, if you can see it you can range it but its big and heavy. Other than that your looking at $900 or so on up to even push the 1500 yard mark reliably. Otherwise you could send your buddy off on foot with Gps and just have him radio lat/long depending on your map datum it would put you pretty stinking close, lol.

Where can I find that surplus mil rf?

With the release and new technology of recent RF's it has made shooting to very long distances more of a reality for some of us. The fact is when you look at the rate of the rapidly dropping projectile out past a mile you soon seen that an accurate range of the target becomes the most important entry into your shooting solution. I struggled with the cheaper units and the typical huge beam that some of them have for years before I became the owner of a good long range RF. I now can range targets to well past 2500 yards in most any conditions including mid day sun. I enjoy the fact that while resting the unit on bags it will return the same distance to me time after time on a 1 moa rock at 2700 plus yards. My current unit is the Vectronix PLRF10. Since I purchased this RF, Vectronix has released their newer consumer unit the PLRF05 also know as the Terrepin. I have no personal experience with the Terripin but from reading the specs, and the already outstanding feedback from the guys that do have them, I would have no problem pulling the trigger to purchase one of them at just under $2000

Not everyone will justify the need for one of these units. I know Shawn Carlock did some of the same testing as I and Shawn even went and bought some very pricey surveying lasers and tested them as well. When I bought my Vectronix I called Shawn and shared what I was seeing with him, he imediatly started testing one. As far as I know he is still using the PLRF10 and has the same opinion as I. If you want and need an accurate reading past a mile there is no free lunch. So you may as well go for the one that will not leave you with heartburn.

Jeff

Broz makes a great point. I have used the Wild for many years and like it in its place but it will not compete with a Vector or other quaity lazer. The Wild will get you in the ballpark but a ballpark is too large to get first round hits with!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.