Angle Compensating Range finders?

DocGlenn

Do the new range-finders that calculate "ballistic distance" work for steep uphill/downhill stuff? Would one of these replace the need for an Angle Cosine Indicator? They aren't too expensive and seem like they would eliminate one more variable. Let me know what you have found out. Thanks.

Angle Compensating Rnge finders

Angle Compensating Range finders work out to a point, however they are merely utilizing the "Rifleman" method of determining the "Base" of the triangle. When utilizing an angle compensating range finder, there can be as much as an eight MOA error when shooting at longer distances and while holding on steeper angles.

The Rifleman method is the Least accurate of the three methods used.
The most accurate method for determining your hold on target is to utilize Ballistic targeting Software such as the one that Night Force sells. This is because the software takes into account the BC of the bullet, the bullet's weight, the bullets unique velocity, your zero distance, along with current temperature, barometric station pressure and humidity. With this data, the software will calculate the bullets unique deceleration curve, which you can then take a step further and validate the bullets trajectory. This may sound like a lot of stuff... However it is really very simple and will deliver a very accurate hold.

Doc

They work great for giving Line of site distance at all angles and
ballistic distance.

But you still have to have a good ballistic table to know where
to hold/adjust for the shot at the distance given by the Range finder.

Being some what of a skeptic I tested mine in colorado using a sheer
bluff wall by ranging different distances to the base and then to the top
of the bluff and then at the angle this gave me all three sides of the
triangle.

After doing 10 of these I did the math and was impressed ( could not find
any reading that was more than a few yards off) and most were at the
limits of the range finder.

J E CUSTOM

+1
I did a simular test on the side of a skyscraper in Seattle from about 530yds away. Accuracy is not an issue, I came away very impressed (I was using a leupold RX-III).

Thanks ! Seems like a useful tool for archery and steep uphill/down rifle shots at longer distances. I may have to look into one of these.

Does anyone other than Leupold have one on the market? The reviews on Cabela's site are not to great.
Most complaints were about the rangefinding not the angle feature.
I have nothing against Leupold, I think I have at least 4 of their scopes and love them.

Doc

I bought the Leupold and the only complaint I have
is learning how to use the menu.

Once I mastered the menu I really like it.

It is very good for bow hunting because most of the time your
shooting at angles and the Leupold has a mode for bow hunting
with 3 different arrow velocitys.

There are several other brands that have the angle feature but
I dont know if they have the archery mode. and I hunt with both
Bow and Gun so thats why I went with the Leupold.

J E CUSTOM

I bought the Rx4 and it was like looking through a coke bottle. It broke after a day so I returned it and got another one. I wouldn't range past 800 yards so I gave up and bought the swaro. And like Je said: The menus are a pain. Actually to me the menu is a joke.

I have a bushnell and have used it here and in Africa. Site in at 100 yards, tell the range finder bullet and velocity and aim the range finder and shoot. Shot a mule deer this last October in the snow at 325 yards. Bushnell range finder told me to hold 17" high and smacked the buck right through the heart. Have been impressed ever since I got it. Have not missed an animal in the last eight harvested. I was always terrible at guessing distances especially on open prairie and in our tall mountains in Utah.

Were you using the Bushnell 1500 ARC? You are the first to post anything I've seen on testing the Arc feature. Thanks. Oops sorry, went back and saw Leupold at the bottom.

Doc

They work great for giving Line of site distance at all angles and
ballistic distance.

But you still have to have a good ballistic table to know where
to hold/adjust for the shot at the distance given by the Range finder.

Being some what of a skeptic I tested mine in colorado using a sheer
bluff wall by ranging different distances to the base and then to the top
of the bluff and then at the angle this gave me all three sides of the
triangle.

After doing 10 of these I did the math and was impressed ( could not find
any reading that was more than a few yards off) and most were at the
limits of the range finder.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I did forget to mention on the mule deer we were well above the animal and shooting down hill at a good angle. My distance estimation and knowing where to shoot up hill or down have always been pretty poor. Can't remember how many times I have shot over or hit the animal high in the past or shot under. I have been at this hunting now for 52 years.

Bushnell offers two models with the angle ballistics. They are the Elite 1500 with ARC and the Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC. Can't say as to whether the 1500 has both bow and gun modes, but a buddy of mine has the 1000 and it DOES have both bow and gun modes. Seems to work pretty well, and I think it is a lot more user friendly than the RX line from Leupold.

The Leupy RX-IV worked for me great on angles.
Depending on the range you may be able to out shoot its capabilities in certain circumstances.
It sure worked great when sscoypte and I were in the mountains hunting elk and muleys.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.