Angle compensating Vs. shot angle calculating

porkchop401

Fellas I have question concerning shooting at extreme angles.

My range finder has angle compinsating ability and I have a touch of faith in it but I am wandering if I would be better turning off the angle compinsation mode and relying on a cosine indicator to feed the numbers in to the ballistic program rather than enter zero in the shot angle spot. thanks.

I guess it all depends on how accurate the angle compensation mode is .
I would think as long as you range the actual target angle or close to it . Then it should be close enough as anything else .
If you are getting hits with it now , why look for more complication.

Well you see here in louisiana I would have to climb up a cell tower or somthing since it is very flat and the angle accuracy can not realy be tested and I would like to have this prety well sorted out buy next Elk season.

I see your problem . The only way to be sure is by shooting down a slope at a target and test the range finders angle against the angle provided by a cosign indicator . The only place I can see with a bit of hilly country is at the end of Magnolia Trail , Cypress lane , Quail run , on the right past Parish RD 108 and the road to the left at the end . Maybe someone would let you set up a target and take a few shots down into their paddocks.

I was hopeing sombody from the high could chime in on any comparison that they have made in real world shooting .
I have concerns that when you use a angle compensating range finder and feed the numbers in to the program with less yardage due to extreme angles but with 0 degrees in slope in stead of actual distance, you will have a shorter time of flight whitch will not allow for accurate windage calculations .

I went through the same thing when I got my G7 RF. I did test at some pretty steep angles against my manual method of measuring the angle and entering it into the calculator. Turned out to be exactly the same. I would probably test any RF for this before relying on it. I also tested the ballistic computer, temperature, and density output in the G7 which also marches the output of Shooter and Ballistic FTE. Sure is a lot faster.

Yep! Not too many mountains near Natchitoches, La.! Even flatter 70 miles northeast from there!

It shouldn't be too hard to test the angle using the top of a tall tree from 100-200 yards. A 45 degree angle line of sight range should be around a 30% distance correction. 100 yards to the top of the tree would correct to 70 yards. A 30 degree angle should be about a 10% distance correction. The ballistic program will give the exact numbers. I initially tested using this approach, then did longer range testing when I was able to get to an appropriate area and it checked out the same.

I did some testing today at the range , though limited the bullet drop would be on the money , though the windage would be slightly skewed since the compensated yardage is shorter than the actual and if you calculate the windage it will come up short, a second range finder shot will be required without angle compensation to determine accurate windage, though unless the shot is on a very steep angle the amount should be minimal. I guess I just answered my own questionlightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.