Angle Compensation Question

What do you mean by wind distance? Do you mean the adjustment for wind based off of wind speed? Ok my understanding of wind was about the same. Personally, when I get to the point, I won't shoot at an animal any further than 600 yards regardless of conditions.
The longer the flight of the bullet the greater the effect of the wind. The deflection caused by the wind therefore increases requiring an ever increasing compensation on your part.

A wind deflection of 1" at 100yds is going to be roughly 10" at 1,000yds.

Maybe this will help.

1200px-Rtriangle.svg.png

The length of side B remains the same whether point B is up or flipped over pointing down.

The length of side c also remains constant irrespective of whether B is higher or lower than point A.

Now imagine yourself sitting at point A and your target as being point B. The adjusted true ballistic range is still equal to whatever the length of side b is.

So, is side C longer than that of side A? I guess where I'm getting confused is if it is the same distance, why is there an adjusted range output based on incline/decline? Wouldn't it make the adjusted range either further/shorter than what the "true" horizontal range is?

So, is side C longer than that of side A? I guess where I'm getting confused is if it is the same distance, why is there an adjusted range output based on incline/decline? Wouldn't it make the adjusted range either further/shorter than what the "true" horizontal range is?
You're confusing sides and points.

The Capitalized letters A,B,and C are points. The lower case letters represent the sides.

Whether your angle is up or down the lengths of the sides remains the same.

If the shooter is Point A and the Target is Point B, the horizontal distance is still the length of side b which is the distance between Points A and C.

If you can remember back to Geometry class we're working off of the Pythagorean Theorem here.

Up or down the horizontal distance remains the same.

What do you mean by wind distance? Do you mean the adjustment for wind based off of wind speed? Ok my understanding of wind was about the same. Personally, when I get to the point, I won't shoot at an animal any further than 600 yards regardless of conditions.

Look at the image below. Your bullet has to travel the long leg through space where it's affected by the wind the whole way. Thus you correct for wind using the real distance between you and your target without any regard for angle of fire, not just the actual horizontal distance. This is what is meant by your "wind distance".

With bullet drop you have to include the angle of fire to calculate the right correction.

Maybe this will help.

1200px-Rtriangle.svg.png

The length of side B remains the same whether point B is up or flipped over pointing down.

The length of side c also remains constant irrespective of whether B is higher or lower than point A.

Now imagine yourself sitting at point A and your target as being point B. The adjusted true ballistic range is still equal to whatever the length of side b is.

Bingo ^^^.

Look at the image below. Your bullet has to travel the long leg through space where it's affected by the wind the whole way. Thus you correct for wind using the real distance between you and your target without any regard for angle of fire, not just the actual horizontal distance. This is what is meant by your "wind distance".

With bullet drop you have to include the angle of fire to calculate the right correction.

Bingo ^^^.
Great tip, thanks for the reminder/clarification.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.