Very long range Range Finders

Topshot

I have been looking at getting a range finder that can reach out to 2000 + yards or more but the price of the new units seems quite high. Then I thought about getting an old second hand Survey EDM. I used these years ago when I worked for a surveyor. Very accurate and could read out to 5K no problem. They were expensive then but the older ones must be obsolete now and should sell rather cheep.

Anyone know what I might pay for an older second hand EDM and bunch of prisms that would do the job.

Last edited:
believe it or not, there are still a few of us hardheads around. if you want a rangefinder that will work every time, in any conditions, you should consider a barr&stroud or a wild, pronounced (vild) ww2 military infantry rangefinder. expect lots of comments, especially from those whove never seen or used one. certainly lazers have advantages, not the least of which is size. but thats about where it ends. as for 100 % reliability, its no contest. cost for a unit in good condition is about half that of a swaro. lazer. be carefull as not all german made units are usable.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.