Range finder or RF binoculars?

Nuclear Worker

Looking at either a range finder or RF binoculars. Like the idea of only having one piece of equipment instead of 2. Being able to use the binoculars and range in one motion. I have an Sig kilo 2400 now that I would give to wife.Thinking the 8x32 Swaro RF binoculars for field of view and steadier than bigger ones when not on tripod. but that's a lot of money! If I go with RF looking at the Revic BR4 or another Sig. Has anyone tried the BR4?

It depends on distance and intended use. When I was looking, I wanted the binocular function more than the rangefinding ability. Ranging was a decided bonus. I found you sacrifice alot of glass for the cost in a combination unit. I was looking at Leica and Swarovski, so not cheap. Went with separate units. Again, I wanted top teir glass first and foremost.

I have the Revic Rangefinder, and Leica and Swarovski Binos in Rangefinding and not. I much prefer the Swarovski Rangefinding Binos over the Revic or the Leica's. The Leica's I have are the 3200.com (dumb name) and I don't like them nearly as well as the previous model that I ran over.

I've got Sig in both a hand held RF (Kilo5k) and also the Bino (Kilo6k HD) 8x32. I like having the one software application that works exactly the same for both. Glass on the Binos is excellent. I at certain times don't need the smaller power bino so I then use the RF only. It's not Swaro glass quality but it is still a very high quality on the new kilo 6KHDs. RF works great on both pieces of gear. I'm very satisfied. With regards to sacrificing a little glass on my RF Bino, it doesn't bother me much as in my pack are my 15 HD Swaros and my Kowa spotter. I always carry a pair of compact Binos when I'm headed to my glassing destination for up close or a jump up viewing inside of 200-300 yards and these Sig HDs do everything I need. So with this I carry one less piece of gear. From 4 down to 3.

Last edited:
Anyone try the Leupold RF Binos yet? I was leaning toward the Sig so I can hook up the Kestrel but the glass on the Leupold is so much better. The firing solutions seem to bracket most caliber/velocity combos out there too.

I've got a pair of SIG kilo 300 BDX olive sdk31001 for sale new. The seal on the box hasn't been cut. In case they interest you

Had this same debate over the years. My go to for years were Swaro EL's 10x42 and a Leica RF. Both excellent performers. But, I usually drop my pack for the final stalk or shot set up and my RF was on my pack belt(I don't like things hanging off my bino harness AT ALL). So it posed problems. I looked into options for RF binos. I ended up with the Zeiss RF 10x42 binos. All in its lighter than my El's and Leica RF together, they're always strapped to my chest so I can drop my pack wherever and its on me, and the glass was good enough to me to compare to my older El's. Now, the newer EL's would be better than the Zeiss RF binos but at the time, I had a pair of El's from 2008. So, as stated above, you do lose a bit when its a combined unit but I went with it for simplicity and ease(one less thing to forget). Oh, and I did Zeiss instead of Leica or Swaro RF binos also because I run the Outdoorsmans stuff and wanted the bino stud for mounting on tripods

Looking at either a range finder or RF binoculars. Like the idea of only having one piece of equipment instead of 2. Being able to use the binoculars and range in one motion. I have an Sig kilo 2400 now that I would give to wife.Thinking the 8x32 Swaro RF binoculars for field of view and steadier than bigger ones when not on tripod. but that's a lot of money! If I go with RF looking at the Revic BR4 or another Sig. Has anyone tried the BR4?
My BR4 is an outstanding RF in all weather conditions. The 10x magnification is a real plus and the lens quality is as good as it gets.

Anyone try the Leupold RF Binos yet? I was leaning toward the Sig so I can hook up the Kestrel but the glass on the Leupold is so much better. The firing solutions seem to bracket most caliber/velocity combos out there too.
WE used to hunt Fort Peck a lot in Montana for deer and before bino's were combined with rangefinders as soon as I saw one I got a leupold model ,this was probably 25 years ago and the model I got was the biggest piece of junk I ever had horrible optics and a rangefinder that was luck to reach out to 300 yds. I went back to my bushnell rangefinder that was bulky but claimed 1000 yds and would get that often. Very rairly it would get readings farther. I got tired of the bulkyness so I got a leupold 1000yd rangefinder that was nice and small, would almost fit in a pocket, and had more features than I could operate. Another piece of junk, it was reliable to about 400 yds most of the time it would not give you a reading after that, I should have returned it to the company but I traded it off to a buddy for his use bow hunting and went back to the very good bushnells, then bushnell came out with a combination unit, bino's and rangefinder in one package if I remember right about 16 years ago for about 600$ and I got one, the optics are not perfect but plenty good enough and the rangefinder like the old one I had works out to 1000yds very often I think we have gotten readings 1150 or so,I've got that same pair and my grandsons have beat it up a little so I got another pair because I liked them so much. they are economical and if you don't tell the critters you kill using them they were just bushnells the dead animals won't know the difference

My way of thinking is that the bino is #1 function. It needs the best glass.

Also my rangefinder is now also a ballistic solution. So distance of rangefinder and ballistics are #1.

I'm not willing to compromise either. I will gladly carry both on my bino pouch. (Actually I carry my bino, my old leica crf from archery mide, and add g2 in rifle mode)

I might at some point buy leica rangefinding binos to replace straight bino and straight rangefinder, but I would also carry g2 (or br4).

No doubt the rangefinder bino is real convenient many times, but so far it's too much compromise for me

I hunted with a Leica rangefinder and a separate set of binoculars for a few years. Then I found a sale on a pair of Leica Geovid binoculars with rangefinder and ballistic functions. Now I use my rangefinder only for golf. In my opinion, it's so much more convenient to have a nice pair of rangefinding binoculars than a separate rangefinder and binos.

Sig 10k has been great for me. Can program multiple rifle profiles into it (I know it will hold at least 7 - that's what is currently in mine). It reads all environmental conditions except wind, and you can input that. It has been stupid accurate in providing shooting solutions at all ranges I have tested it at (from 100 - 1720 yards) and with all the different calibers I have used it with. The downside is the glass is not Swarovski or Leica and it has a blue green tint, but I have no issues with the glass quality and the color is something you get used to. It has been more accurate in rain and fog than any other range finder I have used and I feel that I get more accurate readings on small targets at long distances than the stand alone range finders I have used.

James at Barbour Creek did an in depth review on them, which helped me make my decision to bite the bullet and get them.