Range finder

If you ever want to link your ra
Looking for a range finder that is accurate out to 800 yds. . Any suggestions
If you are considering linking to a Kestrel be very careful in your selection. Sig links well to a Kestrel and is a solid rangefinder on its own. At the $600 price point, I would highly recommend it.

I have the Sig Kilo, ran the 2200 BDX for a bit and now the 5K. IMO the sigs are tough to beat, especially considering value for $. Fast, reliable and the integration with Basemap is kind of cool. As mentioned above, solid integration with Kestrel, their BDX line of scopes if you are in to that, your phone, etc. Their ballistic calculator is solid too.

Keep in mind actual field conditions, game and natural surfaces is less than the rated capability. I'd go overboard on distance to get more solid actual field/weather condition distances. My 2200 will hit over 3k yds with clear conditions metal reflective building, maybe 1/4 that in actual use reliably. The 5k will go cross canyon pretty reliably. My hunting buddy still runs the 2200 and last year there were quite a few instances where the 5k punched through where the 2200 was spotty or wouldn't catch it.

I have the Sig Kilo, ran the 2200 BDX for a bit and now the 5K. IMO the sigs are tough to beat, especially considering value for $. Fast, reliable and the integration with Basemap is kind of cool.

Keep in mind actual field conditions, game and natural surfaces is less than the rated capability. I'd go overboard on distance to get more solid actual field/weather condition distances. My 2200 will hit over 3k yds with clear conditions metal reflective building, maybe 1/4 that in actual use reliably. The 5k will go cross canyon pretty reliably. My hunting buddy still runs the 2200 and last year there were quite a few instances where the 5k punched through where the 2200 was spotty or wouldn't catch it.

I agree. The 5K is a solid RF at the $600 price point. Loaded with features and it just works!!

I agree. The 5K is a solid RF at the $600 price point. Loaded with features and it just works!!
Well said. Honestly the 2200 will be a solid performer out to 800 the 5k stretches that out a bit to over 1k, maybe a bit more. We're talking actual field conditions, solid consistent hits not I caught 5k on a clear day metal building once last week. My 2200 is like new and I was going to sell it but I might just keep it for my son to use. The only real difference is when the distances get out there a bit. If you update the software it has the same feature set.

I'm still getting the hang of the Basemap integration. It's pretty cool to hit a target and drop a pin at that point. It can be helpful for navigation and even game recovery.

Last edited:
Well said. Honestly the 2200 will be a solid performer out to 800 the 5k stretches that out a bit to over 1k, maybe a bit more. We're talking actual field conditions, solid consistent hits not I caught 5k on a clear day metal building once last week.

Yes, The 2200 may be discontinued now and the 5k is about the same price point. I saw the 5k on sale for $499 just the other day.

I have the Sig Kilo, ran the 2200 BDX for a bit and now the 5K. IMO the sigs are tough to beat, especially considering value for $. Fast, reliable and the integration with Basemap is kind of cool. As mentioned above, solid integration with Kestrel, their BDX line of scopes if you are in to that, your phone, etc. Their ballistic calculator is solid too.

I fully support the above comments on Sig 5 K based on my experience with it in the last nine months with and without Kestrel link.

I'd say just about anything out there that's rated for at least 1k would do you fine. I'd look at stuff that's rated to 2k to help you get to your 800 mark reliably on non-reflective targets. I went with the Leica 2800.COM.
Had two Leica RF and 1 binoc. All I ever needed. Binocs are 35 years old now. Excellent

I believe it's hard to beat a BR-4 from Gunwerks. You can get the previous versions the BR-2 snd BR-2500 used for around $500-$700
I have a BR-2 that in the right conditions was able to range out to 2400

Recent Posts