Range finder readings

Summa724

I have a leupold rx1200i and when ranging white steel plates I get different readings almost every time we go shooting. Is it because it's steel and the reflection is way different then animals ,rocks and trees ? Or could there be something wrong with it?

range finders are usually not accurate at range...regardless of brand type or price...that being said some are better than others. Im not sure about yours. the sun light...dust, fog, etc can distort the laser...not using the laser on a tripod can cause inconsistencies as well. A common culprit is battery life. after a few clicks on a range finder...you pretty much should replace the battery for maximum accuracy of your range finder. GPS or using a mil reticle is probably the most accurate way of ranging something...rangefinders, generally, are quick and easy...and i feel are best to confirm range to the nearest 50-100 yards..
Now within say 300, most range finders id say are pretty spot on.

I totally disagree with above; LRF is absolutely easier and more accurate than reticle ime.
Not familiar with your RF, might not have the best beam beam convergence and you are hitting rocks/trees, etc...
I have had 3 LRF in hand and all 3 measured within 2 yards at over 1000 yards.

what distance are you ranging ? this sounds like a faulty rangefinder to me . I've had a few rangefinders and they would give the same reading , within a yard or two , from day to day . I might not have been standing in the same exact spot . if I range a target over and over , and not move, the distance is usually the same . if a rangefinder is only accurate to 50 or 100 yards they would be of no use . they would not be worth carrying , or buying .

Last edited:
I agree with Jim and Black, Mr. Anonymous just put out some bad info. Using a gps and mil-relation formula are range "estimating" tools that can be used when a range finder (most accurate) cannot be used or isn't available. Don't know which LRF he has used (obviously a turd or lemon, or operator error) but modern LRFs are very accurate if used properly and within their capabilities.

I have a leupold rx1200i and when ranging white steel plates I get different readings almost every time we go shooting. Is it because it's steel and the reflection is way different then animals ,rocks and trees ? Or could there be something wrong with it?

Not all RFs are created equal, below is your RF's (very vague IMHO) measuring accuracy spec and Leica 1600-R for comparison only. RF's accuracy get worst as distance increases.

If battery is the culprit that's an easy fix, mine (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leica-rangemaster-1600-crf-initial-test-80522/) last a long time but always keep spares to make sure.

What kind of reading you're getting and at what distance?

Attachments

• Leupold RX-1200i.JPG
    Leupold RX-1200i.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Leica CRF 1600-R.JPG
    Leica CRF 1600-R.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 70
I want to say the targets are roughly 300,400,508,638 . The 300 yard target # never changes. But the others can move around 30-40 yards in readings.

I want to say the targets are roughly 300,400,508,638 . The 300 yard target # never changes. But the others can move around 30-40 yards in readings.

FEENIX is right, your readings should only vary a small margin.
If you are consistent in your ranging and the LRF is off that much at those distances then send it in to be checked. Call Leupold customer service (check warranty first) as they are pretty accommodating for the most part, I've used them dozens of times.

To answer your questions:
Yes- ranging a white flat steel plate is different than ranging an animal, rock or tree. The range finder should have an easier time getting a reading as the reflectivity of the target is better that then others mentioned.

and

Yes- I think there is something wrong with it. If you have access to another range finder then do a side by side against yours on the same range/targets to see. You never know, something else could be to blame. But I doubt it-doubt it.

a nice white steel plate should be easy to range . my first rangfinder had trouble ranging a 500meter rusty steel , but with fresh paint it ranged it easy . try to steady the rangefinder by leaning against a tree or something to see if this helps . I shoot prone a lot , I'll rest my rangefinder on top of my scope to steady up .

Yea you know when it hits the plate. It ranges fast. I will get a new battery and tinker with it one more time. Then if it is being funny then I will send it back

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.