Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Reemty, did you look at the tubes in her that gives you an accurate count of how many pups she had if it didn't get blown up . Depending on how old they were and how many wet female fox are in the area they may get adopted by another fox . I found a coyote nursing a fox kit once that was different it was even living and playing with her pups .

Yes I also believe that you can't study and know too much about coyote , fox and bobcat behavior their body language will tell you so much about what they are about to do . Will they run , will they stop , are they afraid or just moving off for more distance ect. .

No the projectile came out thru the guts it was a mess, it always amazes me I can hit a fox as they look skinny as heck......that coyote this morning had to be a yearling, no 2 or 3 year old adult in this area would stop and look at my pickup...as "sometimes" its the last thing they see..........and if I miss them they never give me a standing shot again...coyote adopting a fox pup, now that is something....I have seen a few examples of adult coyotes killing adult fox.........

I found it amazing kind of like the mother dog that adopts kittens but weans her own pups . I figured that I only had around a 5 inch target with fox and maybe 7 inch's on coyote . I've seen some interesting things at both fox and coyote dens over the years . I always thought that denning and targeting the females from Feb. on till May was my best control work . I got called a heartless bas1234 often for killing pups and fox kits but figured it was better to kill them then let them starve after killing the parents or taking the chance that they would get adopted . And I have seen a lot of runt coyote from not getting enough food early in life by not having older coyote to feed them . Some of them were about the size of a large red fox . I had to go back to take a coyote den the next day at times when I ran out of time or daylight and have found the pups out eating grass and bugs when they were still chocolate brown so may be 3-4 weeks old . I got a call one time to go out on some coyote where they had killed the older coyote and the pups were half grown . They were living on cow pies and grass hoppers not very big and kind of thin but were still living just not for long when I found them . I have found that at times a coyote will take off on a run and then just disappear out in the open it took me a while to figure that one out . They hit a low spot , cow trail or some taller grass , weeds or sage brush and drop to the ground like they had been shot laying flat with their head down between their front paws . I got to see them do it often when I ground crewed for the chopper and plane . So many interesting things out there to experience a life time isn't long enough for it to get done but we sure try don't we .

I visited with a friend this morning and I'm going to go out to locate coyote on him then take the son-in-laws out and start teaching them how to locate and find the dens as well as take the pups . One of the guy's , that took my place , took a den yesterday the pups still had their eyes closed so weren't 10 days old yet . Maybe I can send Reemty some pictures and he can talk ButterBean into posting them as I'm tech challenged it's not politically correct but I've been told I'm a techtard by a 10 year old . I had a hard time stopping laughing at that one as it's true .

I visited with a friend this morning and I'm going to go out to locate coyote on him then take the son-in-laws out and start teaching them how to locate and find the dens as well as take the pups . One of the guy's , that took my place , took a den yesterday the pups still had their eyes closed so weren't 10 days old yet . Maybe I can send Reemty some pictures and he can talk ButterBean into posting them as I'm tech challenged it's not politically correct but I've been told I'm a techtard by a 10 year old . I had a hard time stopping laughing at that one as it's true .
Just send them to me
812-264-6183

DSheetz ,

My 8 year old grandson tells me , "PawPaw , OLD PEOPLE don't know modern technology", with a heavy emphasis on OLD PEOPLE .

DMP25-06

Acouple of years ago I got a call that a friend of mine had some coyote killing new born calves . The next morning I made it out to his place went into the pasture next to his calving pasture before day break . I dropped down towards the calving pasture found me a nice rock to set up in front of that would provide me cover from the sky line and sun coming up . I sat just listened and watched as the sun was coming up and it started to get light enough to see things pretty good I heard the old coyote open up then the pups answered back so I had a location on the den . I sat there looking out over the cows and calves and watched as and old coyote trotted into the pasture bypassed the cows and went to the kill from yesterday . It was a smaller coyote so I hoped it was the female . It ate quite a bit then started back towards where the pups had talked from carrying some intestines with it . As it approached the fence it stopped before crawling under it . At 250 yards I took the shot it dropped in it's tracks . I went back to my truck went down to retrieve it and the rancher road over looked at me and it then took our picture with his phone . He asked me if there were pups involved and I told him yes and that I knew pretty close to where they were and would go get them . I had to go around to another pasture then walk down 1/4 mile into a pasture with a draw in it there shinning like a silver dollar was the den with a few pups setting out in the morning sun waiting for mom and breakfast . They never got either one and the calf killing stopped . I will send ButterBean the picture of her with the intestines she was carrying still with her .

A884193C-475C-47A4-92CF-7C78758A2BEF.jpeg

The pups play with the parents tails and pull the hair out but she also had some mange as did most of the pups . When you first start to notice the mange starting on the animals you will see clumps of tan colored gobs in their fur . If you look at them under magnification you can see that it's a bunch of mites , they won't live on humans . You can treat it on them or your dogs with ivomech it was designed to de louse humans in Africa and as a liquid when put on the skin of animals it is absorbed and stored in the fat cells so that when mites fleas and ticks ect. feed it kills them . I would say that it was merciful that they were killed but not by the mange . I killed an old male that didn't hardly have any hair left on him and his skin was sun burned and cracking open pretty sure he was suffering badly and would have died before winter killed him .

The pups play with the parents tails and pull the hair out but she also had some mange as did most of the pups . When you first start to notice the mange starting on the animals you will see clumps of tan colored gobs in their fur . If you look at them under magnification you can see that it's a bunch of mites , they won't live on humans . You can treat it on them or your dogs with ivomech it was designed to de louse humans in Africa and as a liquid when put on the skin of animals it is absorbed and stored in the fat cells so that when mites fleas and ticks ect. feed it kills them . I would say that it was merciful that they were killed but not by the mange . I killed an old male that didn't hardly have any hair left on him and his skin was sun burned and cracking open pretty sure he was suffering badly and would have died before winter killed him .
They will live on humans, I have had the mange. I have a dog that was found in a ditch one December, too starved to stand and almost completely hairless with mange. He has recovered nicely, but I also thought that mange wouldn't live on humans, until everyone in my house had mange and we had to burn furniture and clothing and apply ointment and take steroids, (I think), for a few weeks.

This was him after about a month. I didn't name him for 2 months because I didn't think he was going to live. Now, 7 years later, he goes everywhere with me, and he filled out a little.. he's traveled with me for work since he was probably 6 months old..

Attachments

• 20160101_113635.jpg
    20160101_113635.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 20210110_121926.jpg
    20210110_121926.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 20200821_194722.jpg
    20200821_194722.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64