Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

This was him after about a month. I didn't name him for 2 months because I didn't think he was going to live. Now, 7 years later, he goes everywhere with me, and he filled out a little.. he's traveled with me for work since he was probably 6 months old..
Very honorable thing to do for a suffering animal. I really believe that most animals know when you are there to help and know when we are there for other reasons. You have a friend for life there.

Very honorable thing to do for a suffering animal. I really believe that most animals know when you are there to help and know when we are there for other reasons. You have a friend for life there.
He sleeps 2 feet from me all night long. He's the most loyal animal I've ever known. He cries if I leave him for very long, and he's very protective. A few months ago my wife was goofing around, punching me in the shoulder. He thought she was serious, so he launched himself from the floor to the other side of our California king bed and landed between us. He's never been allowed on the bed, so it was a big deal to him. I wanted to see what he would do, so i didn't say anything. He wedged himself between us and laid down. He's about 125lbs now.

Hecould , you are correct some forms of the mange mites will live on humans . It's the demodectic mange mite ( scabies ) the sarcoptic mange mite doesn't last long on humans . I looked it up on Medical News Today : Mange in Humans : Treatment , Symptoms and Outlook . An interesting article I hope to never stop learning . It's not very common here for the coyote to get the demodectic mange they normally get the sarcoptic mange and cats don't get that type of mange either , they normally get Notoedic mites . Treatments include the use of cortical steroids , ivermectin ,lindane, permethrin creams ect.

Hecould , you are correct some forms of the mange mites will live on humans . It's the demodectic mange mite ( scabies ) the sarcoptic mange mite doesn't last long on humans . I looked it up on Medical News Today : Mange in Humans : Treatment , Symptoms and Outlook . An interesting article I hope to never stop learning . It's not very common here for the coyote to get the demodectic mange they normally get the sarcoptic mange and cats don't get that type of mange either , they normally get Notoedic mites . Treatments include the use of cortical steroids , ivermectin ,lindane, permethrin creams ect.
My wife is still mad at me for filling our house with mange mites 7 years ago, and giving her the mange. She still mentions it periodically. That woman can hold a grudge.

Until that happened, I had always incorrectly believed that mange was a skin condition, some sort of disease. I only found out the truth once I had infected my family and home with them. In retrospect, it seems kinda stupid to bring a dog with mange into your house, but it was December, and below freezing, and he had no hair. It all worked out on the end, but yeah, don't get mange, you will not enjoy it.

When I worked with Wildlife Services ( USDA) they gave me a book , Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States 3rd edition by William R. Davidson . That has a lot of good info in it as to what types of diseases animals carry and can be transmitted to humans . It is interesting how many diseases have been introduced to the United States since I worked with them only 15 years ago . Any of us that are around animals both wildlife and domestic are exposed to far more diseases then we realize .

Valarius Geist, (who wrote the American model for wildlife management that generally guides our policy decisions), was a guest on one of the meateater podcasts a year or so back, and he described a disease that wolves spread that hit Russia or Siberia back before the world was in color, and it infected a bunch of domestic dogs that then infected their families. It caused what he described as a "flesh-eating" disease that was 100% fatal. There were a huge number of children who died in agony with their skin sloughing off. He claimed that the existence of this disease was the predominant reason that people used to refuse to allow dogs into the homes. He claims that it is only a matter of time until it hits again, and maybe in the US or Canada with these wolves, and that we are no better fixed to treat it than they were back then.
When I worked with Wildlife Services ( USDA) they gave me a book , Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States 3rd edition by William R. Davidson . That has a lot of good info in it as to what types of diseases animals carry and can be transmitted to humans . It is interesting how many diseases have been introduced to the United States since I worked with them only 15 years ago . Any of us that are around animals both wildlife and domestic are exposed to far more diseases then we realize .

Last edited by a moderator:
If you study some of the history of human and animal interactions going back as far as a few thousand years you will find that humans were able to link the spread of some diseases to animals as well as humans crowding together . Dogs as well as some other animals have long been thought of as unclean animals carrying fleas ,ticks , lice and internal parasites then transmitting them to humans as can be seen in some Asian countries today . In medieval times aristocrats wore fur collars to try to help control these critters . Leprosy in some forms is very contagious to humans and carried by some animals such as armadillos to this day . Cats were brought into European cities and towns to combat the rats and mice that carried fleas that were spreading bubonic plague , which spread from the east (Asia ) and into Europe . Recently the DNR was studying prairie dog towns thinking that they would reintroduce black footed ferrets to them but in Wyoming they found that 9 out of 10 prairie dog towns had bubonic plague and when the bacteria get in the soil it can become air borne with high winds thus causing pneumonic plague . The bubonic plague was brought to the Americas from Asia on sailing ships bringing trade goods , and flea infested rats .

Attachments

• 4863EAC0-1F79-4559-A202-33E084448895.jpeg
    4863EAC0-1F79-4559-A202-33E084448895.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 105
  • 9D454A6E-9EF9-4579-AFA7-360366329150.jpeg
    9D454A6E-9EF9-4579-AFA7-360366329150.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 112
  • 6139F88D-F71E-4005-AC8E-1B91CC5BD193.jpeg
    6139F88D-F71E-4005-AC8E-1B91CC5BD193.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 4EABAFCF-C009-4F45-BC7E-062755933DC5.jpeg
    4EABAFCF-C009-4F45-BC7E-062755933DC5.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 3BBDED92-B683-415C-967A-06087477C817.jpeg
    3BBDED92-B683-415C-967A-06087477C817.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 96
Thank You ButterBean , the first one is Jack at the den with the old ones he's Gene's dog and my friend that loves denning as much as Gene and I . The second one is showing the tubes after she is healing by a few weeks . The 3rd one is pups she still had in her that would have been born in a few days she was a yearling and only had 3 . The 4th one shows the lumps where she had 7 pups about a week or so ago . the last one shows 6 pups about 3-4 weeks along . Gene took over for me when I retired and is better at it then I was . Avery good person and friend .

Last edited:
The biggest reason that I wanted to know how many pups the female had, given birth to was so that I knew that I had in fact taken them all . Too many times I would take a den and only have a few of the pups in it so then you get to looking and find a slight trail leading from it in the grass follow it and find that they had pups in two dens . The 3-4 inch wide mashed down grass path that at first glance looks like rabbits have been running it . The largest litter I took from one female was 13 pups and I took that many more then once thus the reason for targeting the female from Feb . on till May .

I didn't start out knowing much about coyote control but I knew that was what I wanted to be good at so I set into studying them to learn their ways . I also talked with people that did know about doing coyote control . Some of them wouldn't share much , they perhaps felt threatened that some young guy might want to take their job and way of life from them . Some were very willing to share their life's experience with me . A few of them had made howlers out of some different things I think the two most strange one's I saw were one made from a clarinet mouth piece and one made from a 50 caliber case . During WW II the army air corps had a B-17 then latter a B-29 training base in Casper Wyoming where they trained the gunners how to shoot the 50's . You can still to this day find the spent and tail ends of the 50's case's , the last 5 rounds of the belts that are still live rounds . Those types of things have changed over the years . The coyote has done some adapting to what we use to get them they get to know our habits if we don't change them and let ourselves get into a set pattern . Hecould should remember not to let this happen from his training in the past it was a part of the training even in the 60's and 70's , I believe it still is to this day . Most of us have to learn it on our own or by being taught this by others or the coyote we hunt . It takes a lot of knowledge to get good at coyote control you need to be able to adapt to the situation you are in at the moment as well as the ability to use all kinds of different methods to get the job done trapping , snaring , calling , sniping and more are used as the situation calls for them to be . I always figured if I wanted to learn something that I wanted to learn from the best at it that I could find or afford . Most of the guys that I learned from kind of taught me not to over den hunt but I found that they would filter into my area from the areas that weren't denned . I could kill the trouble makers and the pups send more young livestock to market in the fall for the ranchers and still not have a shortage of coyote . I got paid and so did the livestock producers . The only ones not happy were the coyote but then I don't think a dead coyote cares much I do know that if you take the pups and not the female she will often do revenge killing of young livestock and you have just made yourself look bad , she didn't I did it to myself in those case's .

Last edited:

Recent Posts