Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Has anyone ever tried to call coyotes with a thermocell running?

I realize that if they are dead downwind, you'll be busted regardless, but I'm wondering if they seem to notice it. Most animals don't seem to be bothered by it all, but I've never tried it with coyotes, but I have some properties that are really swampy, and the mosquitoes are the size of Shetland ponies and have the commitment of kamikaze pilots.

I haven't . I used deet and mostly just learned to dress for them but then I also had west nile . Eating no bananas helps as well as eating garlic some tribes use natural repellents like patchily oil that didn't seem to bother the coyote much here if not over done . At the class I went to for mosquito control they said they will travel 1/8 mile following the co in your breath . It was part of the training I had to get every year to keep my commercial licensing for doing control work here .

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried to call coyotes with a thermocell running?

I realize that if they are dead downwind, you'll be busted regardless, but I'm wondering if they seem to notice it. Most animals don't seem to be bothered by it all, but I've never tried it with coyotes, but I have some properties that are really swampy, and the mosquitoes are the size of Shetland ponies and have the commitment of kamikaze pilots.
Be careful with that thing and don't keep it on your body. Had a friend that was squirrel hunting with one in a breast pocket. Easing around on a still morning killed his limit in about 30min. He thought it was great, the mosquitoes didn't bother him. Did it again the next morning. They weren't moving nearly as well. After about an hour he passed out and nearly died from breathing the fumes. As for those swamp mosquitoes carry a .44 Mag for protection, but God help you if you just wing one!!

Need to add; A coyote will not only bust you where you are, they will bust you where you have been, and hours later. Remember this when approaching a stand. If a coyote crosses your trail, you are busted. I don't care what you wear or what scent protection you use. Because of this, I wouldn't worry about the Thermocel. We don't use any scent protection for coyotes, I have wanted to try ozone, but its expensive and I seriously doubt it would work. There used to be a two part scent called dead horse. It smelled somewhere between dead and been dead, and was awful to smell. A coyote had no trouble picking me out amongst it. If the Feds could find a way to tame and train coyotes, they could put an end to the drug trade.

Last edited:
After studying coyote for so long I have found that , like people , most of them in my area lead with their right foot first and when they go to step up to some thing even if it's just to smell it the right front foot will be there first stepping down about 9 inch's from what ever it is that has perked their interest enough for them to check it out . Just food for thought in case some one may want to try trapping some time . Fox seem to be the same footed in my area also but step a little closer as they are smaller so it's about 6 inches for them here . I have had some that were left foot dominant and the tracks in the dust at my sets told me to change things up for them .

DSheetz ,

That is very interesting , that most of coyotes and foxes tend to be right-side dominant .

Here is some food-for-thought :
Do mammals , including humans , that are born and live north of the Equator tend to be predominately right-handed , right-side and right eye dominant , versus those mammals , including humans , that are born , and live , south of the Equator POSSIBLY tend to be left-side , left eye dominant ?

I wonder if any studies have been conducted to determine this ?

Kind of like the fact that Hurricanes and Tropical storms , and TOILET FLUSHES , spin in opposite rotation in the Northern Hemisphere , than those in the Southern Hemisphere .

Maybe one of our members of LRH has a scientific background , and could possibly answer these questions .

Inquiring minds want to know .

DMP25-06

I haven't used a thermocell and the question by HECOULD made me wonder about them so I did a little research on them finding them to be interesting . They use a synthetic pyrethrum ( pyrethrum is made from chrysanthemums ) called d-cis/trans allethrin which can have some interesting side effects from overexposure , including unconsciousness . I plant marigolds in my yard for mosquito control and don't use deet any longer but use some natural repellents instead , peppermint , wintergreen , citrus oils work pretty good but still not put on my skin and it just takes a drop or two as well as eating garlic and not eating things that are sugary or turn to sugars in my body in large amounts , starchy foods beer ect . tend to make me a mosquito magnet so I tend to avoid eating too much of them . I have also found that it helps with the fleas that the fox and coyote have on them , insects don't like me (but kids and animals do . I was taught a long time ago that our bodies put off different odors from what we eat and what our medical conditions are diabetics for example put off a sweet smell and mosquitos are drawn to them as are other insects bees ect. There are so many interesting things that can play a roll in our hunting and our body odor is just a small part of it . I have in the past touched on the subject of how our body odor changes when our level of comfort or stress changes and have proven to myself that if when I am excited about hunting my body emits a stronger odor then when I am relaxed . Just some more of my thoughts and observations that my peak a little interest in someone to do a little studying for themselves on the subject .

Living right next to the river and having all the water around bugs are just part of life as soon as it gets over 60 deg. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you take a bth in to avoid them sometimes you just try not to go outside lol. For ticks and chiggers, Sawyers is the ticket, clothing only! For mosquitos, deet, citrus oils, and occassionaly a thermocell. Depending on water temp, every spring we have about a 3 week period that the buffalo gnats will drive you absolutely insane. For them some form of vanilla is all that works for them. They get bad enough at times that those with chickens and fowl actually lose them to it and some people have adverse reactions to thier bites. There's a cheap vanilla perfume we've found to be best and you just keep it fresh on you about every 20-30 minutes and I also found that a vanilla air freshener like you put in your vehicle works pretty good too. I staple it to my hat bill. Looks silly and kinda rough first day or too but I'm not flailing my arms and swearing comstantly like someone with terets lol. We also eat lots of garlic too but that's year round lol.

Living right next to the river and having all the water around bugs are just part of life as soon as it gets over 60 deg. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you take a bth in to avoid them sometimes you just try not to go outside lol. For ticks and chiggers, Sawyers is the ticket, clothing only! For mosquitos, deet, citrus oils, and occassionaly a thermocell. Depending on water temp, every spring we have about a 3 week period that the buffalo gnats will drive you absolutely insane. For them some form of vanilla is all that works for them. They get bad enough at times that those with chickens and fowl actually lose them to it and some people have adverse reactions to thier bites. There's a cheap vanilla perfume we've found to be best and you just keep it fresh on you about every 20-30 minutes and I also found that a vanilla air freshener like you put in your vehicle works pretty good too. I staple it to my hat bill. Looks silly and kinda rough first day or too but I'm not flailing my arms and swearing comstantly like someone with terets lol. We also eat lots of garlic too but that's year round lol.
Man, I remember being in Illinois, not far from you for some really bad years with the gnats. So bad that you couldn't speak because they fly into your mouth and eyes every time you open them. The worst place I ever saw them was in Forrest City, 3 years ago. We got some kind of eucalyptus oil spray that I said smelled like a lesbian bookstore, but it works like magic to keep them away. Like you said, we had to re-apply it every 30 mins or so. I had several bottles, and they lasted for years, but I cannot remember what it was called.

They are the most vile creatures to ever inhabit this area. They've even affected our turkey population some. It's wierd cause they'ge only been around the last 10 yrs or so and never before. Noone really can say where besides hell that they came from but everyone wishes they'd go back!

When I was doing mosquito control I started using Bti , bacillus thuringiensis bacteria . It came in a water soluble packet on ground corn cob you would throw a packet per acer of standing water and it would float around the pool then the larva would eat the bacteria and die it works on gnats as well and you can get it in different forms briquets ect. . I also used Golden Bear mosquito larvicide which was white mineral oil you would poor a small amount on the surface of standing water it would put a slight oil film on the water and suffocated the larva . it was also environmentally friendly . I think that the Bti may help with the gnat control as it lives in the soil any way and the gnats bread in wet soils along the edge of standing water but it will be a long process . A lot of deer have been killed by gnats transmitting disease to them . It helps when every one around you does control on them as well . The cost isn't bad either for these products .

Now I have a new image in my head of Dave............my Marigold Guy!!! :oops: ;)
Well guys not much for actual hunting adventures but a couple of drive byes.....Saturday, doing a check of the BP and driving along and there is a fox out on a pivot, eating something, so I did a range on it, 327 yards, got out cranked the scope up to 20 power, got settled in and put the 300 yard hash mark on it, Ka-Pow, DRT...walked out and looked at it the next morning....I got anywhere from 6-9 fox in that one shot, she was nursing. That saved me a problem, trying to shoot all those yearlings this fall......39 grain SBK. Keep in mind that is the 11th fox in a 3 section area since last fall......they are hell on pheasants.
This morning did my usual drive bye and was just about on my way to work when I saw a coyote 1/2 a mile away to the north.....drove right up the road slow and it started trotting away to the east, guesstimated the range to be 300 yards, no time to range it. Got out and settled in, barking wouldn't stop it, so it was going straight away put the crosshairs on it and shot, a little low and to the right....coyote took off but not running hard, I started barking at it more, pretty soon that dog stopped, put the 400 yard hash mark on it and Ka-Pow..............DRT, I could see fur fly on the off side so I knew the bullet exited...........no idea actual range. GOD smiles on fools and misfits, so I got a blessing on that coyote!! 🙏☝️😌 51st coyote in 12 months, and either 13 or 14 fox total, not sure....That 204 CZ with the 6-24 power Vortex Tactical is a nice combo and I love the Bell & Carlson stock.....it is a fun gun to shoot and accurate as heck!!!
I cannot emphasize enough the reading of coyote body language, when this coyote ran it was just trotting so I felt it would eventually stop so I kept barking, patience, wait for the shot and take the broadside standing shot as the percentage on hits is way higher.....better than a running shot at 400 yards.........YMMV, but watch them all you can and you will be able to predict their actions a high percent of the time.

Last edited:
Now I have a new image in my head of Dave............my Marigold Guy!!! :oops: ;)
Well guys not much for actual hunting adventures but a couple of drive byes.....Saturday, doing a check of the BP and driving along and there is a fox out on a pivot, eating something, so I did a range on it, 327 yards, got out cranked the scope up to 20 power, got settled in and put the 300 yard hash mark on it, Ka-Pow, DRT...walked out and looked at it the next morning....I got anywhere from 6-9 fox in that one shot, she was nursing. That saved me a problem, trying to shoot all those yearlings this fall......39 grain SBK. Keep in mind that is the 11th fox in a 3 section area since last fall......they are hell on pheasants.
This morning did my usual drive bye and was just about on my way to work when I saw a coyote 1/2 a mile away to the north.....drove right up the road slow and it started trotting away to the east, guesstimated the range to be 300 yards, no time to range it. Got out and settled in, barking wouldn't stop it, so it was going straight away put the crosshairs on it and shot, a little low and to the right....coyote took off but not running hard, I started barking at it more, pretty soon that dog stopped, put the 400 yard hash mark on it and Ka-Pow..............DRT, I could see fur fly on the off side so I knew the bullet exited...........no idea actual range. GOD smiles on fools and misfits, so I got a blessing on that coyote!! 🙏☝️😌 51st coyote in 12 months, and either 13 or 14 fox total, not sure....That 204 CZ with the 6-24 power Vortex Tactical is a nice combo and I love the Bell & Carlson stock.....it is a fun gun to shoot and accurate as heck!!!
@Reemty J
831646C0-81AD-4712-81CB-CEA3CE970B51.jpeg