Coyote hunting tips

Question: I had a guy tell me that my Glossy Green Side X Side sticks out like a sore thumb. I understood the the yotes are color blind. He suggested no only try to hide in the thicket, but I SHOULD PAINT IT IN CAMO! So a lot of the time, just can;t get into the thicket to hide. Should I paint it?
Just get a CAMO cover. We have a CAMO "Net" type material and cover the back of our pickup with a topper when posting in the truck bed

Just use a cover that doesn't shine, and blends in with the surroundings, movement, noise and shinney things are not your friend. They can hear you coming for a long distance, give it some time after you arrive at the area you want to call, then move away from where you just drove. Things that look out of place are noticed by all animals especially predators. I worked in some pretty open country for many years and did my best to find low places to park then if I could, I would go over a hill from my vehicle.

The cover you have looks fine as long as there is no sheet to it.
The cover I have is just for Storage when parked at the house. But I guess I could use it. It is a pain to put on. But a good idea. I never thought about using the storage cover. Especially if I have another shooting buddy to go with me! Thanks

You could do a camouflage wrap (this would be a semi permanent option ) or purchase some blind material and just clip it on . (inexpensive and easy to remove)

Guys, you have to remember that a coyote hunts with his nose, eyes, and ears.

All the crap that you carry out with you is like a scent bomb with whatever the equipment has been exposed to.

It is hard for most to realize just how sensitive a coyote's nose is. Controlling your scent should be a priority.

If a guy has nonreflective tape on his gun, wears camo gloves, and a camo face mask, limits his movement, looking back and forwards with is eyes/keeps your head stationary, moving his head very slowly, coyotes are prone to not recognize your form as a man until you move or they get downwind of your scent cone. Your Scent cone could easily be picked up at 250 yards and the gas on the bottom of your boot can be picked up at a minimum of 10'.

We used to make portable blinds out of camo parachute material, coyotes kept winding us, we had better luck with what I mentioned above.

Just use a cover that doesn't shine, and blends in with the surroundings, movement, noise and shinney things are not your friend. They can hear you coming for a long distance, give it some time after you arrive at the area you want to call, then move away from where you just drove. Things that look out of place are noticed by all animals especially predators. I worked in some pretty open country for many years and did my best to find low places to park then if I could, I would go over a hill from my vehicle.

Darn good advice from a very experienced hunter.

On my belt, I had a set of good commercial pruners in a leather holster. I would carve a hole in a bush and sit on a small fold-up stool. Rarely if ever did a coyote spot me with my camo gun, camo gloves, and camo face mask. A coyote can spot a white man's face and hands very, very quickly and at some distance. Where legal, I use two cans of sardines packed in oil, placed in a blue, dark red, or dark green sock transported in a 1 lb coffee can to and from the truck to stand. An old trapper I hunted with taught me this trick, and I have taken a lot of animals with it. A coyote or fox that has never eaten a fish in their life just go crazy at the smell of the heavy fish oil.

Scent control should be tops on a guy's list of things to do, but most are just interested in "coyotes shooting" vs coyote hunting.

Guys, you have to remember that a coyote hunts with his nose, eyes, and ears.

All the crap that you carry out with you is like a scent bomb with whatever the equipment has been exposed to.

It is hard for most to realize just how sensitive a coyote's nose is. Controlling your scent should be a priority.

If a guy has nonreflective tape on his gun, wears camo gloves, and a camo face mask, limits his movement, looking back and forwards with is eyes/keeps your head stationary, moving his head very slowly, coyotes are prone to not recognize your form as a man until you move or they get downwind of your scent cone. Your Scent cone could easily be picked up at 250 yards and the gas on the bottom of your boot can be picked up at a minimum of 10'.

We used to make portable blinds out of camo parachute material, coyotes kept winding us, we had better luck with what I mentioned above.

Darn good advice from a very experienced hunter.

On my belt, I had a set of good commercial pruners in a leather holster. I would carve a hole in a bush and sit on a small fold-up stool. Rarely if ever did a coyote spot me with my camo gun, camo gloves, and camo face mask. A coyote can spot a white man's face and hands very, very quickly and at some distance. Where legal, I use two cans of sardines packed in oil, placed in a blue, dark red, or dark green sock transported in a 1 lb coffee can to and from the truck to stand. An old trapper I hunted with taught me this trick, and I have taken a lot of animals with it. A coyote or fox that has never eaten a fish in their life just go crazy at the smell of the heavy fish oil.

Scent control should be tops on a guy's list of things to do, but most are just interested in "coyotes shooting" vs coyote hunting.
Work the WIND. Most animals have "Motion Sensors" built into their brain. Where they can't smell their brain registers any slight movement that is received through their OPTICS.
Getting rid of your scent, covering up (masking) you scent and hunt the WIND. I like the Sardines. Have used it before and also have taken Road Kill with me. Even used live chickens/geese tethered along with Mechanical Red Tail hawks, MoJo Critter and Decoy Fawns.
If a Predator SMELLS you or sees- your busted.
I usually only hunt alone unless the other hunter knows the rules.
Sometimes I have to take the property owner when they see all the equipment i have (NV Scope, Thermal, Calls Decoys.) Usally don't have too good luck from them moving too much, making noise not scent free clothing.
Just an example how good Coyotes can be. We were hunting in an elevated shooting house used for Deer hunting. There was a small opening to look and shoot out of. I was calling three yotes in from 500yds away. This was just at DUSK. They were on the top of a hill on a NG Pipeline. The three started coming in and the person with me moved inside of the shooting house. The one coyote stopped in her tracks and looked directly at us. I suspect that it was a old female and very smart. She did a 180 and the other two followed her.
The person I had with me asked what happened? I said you moved. He was like no way the coyote could see me move at 500 yrds. He never was invited to hunt with me again. This was actually the second time he got us busted. I felt obliged to take him since he was the one with dozens of areas on thousands of acres.

Always, Always set up your stand where you can see downwind! Dominant or call-wise coyotes will circle 250 yards downwind. Younger coyotes circle to see if they can get wind of a dominant male/female because they do not want to run in and attempt to take dying prey from a much larger, aggressive animal.

In thicker cover, seeing downwind is tough, but do your best to have an open area downwind from you. In tight cover, it is more important to use an attractant(cover scent) where legal to do so. I have rubbed the oil/sardine on sock on the bottom of my boot, and have the coyotes track me to my stand! I like to do this or create a drag when I have a novice with me with the novice being the first in line that the coyote will run up to!

If you wear the same boots to pump gas into your truck as you do walking out to make a stand, you are often busted and never know it. We learned this when hunting 4 man teams, putting one man 100 yards down wind of the group of three.

I have to agree. I walked up on a chuck a couple of years back. Good hit with a good bullet but it was still alive. That took the fun out of it for me.
Not every shot is a quick kill but we, as hunters experience that; at times. We are bound by our ethics to finish off the animal asap.

Not every shot is a quick kill but we, as hunters experience that; at times. We are bound by our ethics to finish off the animal asap.
This is true. I got a 533 yards cold bore head shot on a chuck this year so I started the year off better.

Well here goes . Calls are like prayers they all get answered , just not always the answer you expect . I have called across a wide open canyon , only to watch a pair hightail it out 5 seconds later a different pair headed straight for us . (don't quit a spot just because you see a coyote leave .) Always check the powder . Look for tracks . I tend to call lightly at first ( you might have a bedded coyote close . ) Putting on snake boot's doesn't prevent snake encounters . Put the Sun at your back , keep the wind in your face , I'f you can get both of these thing's to line up it will help . Sit in the shadows . sneak into a confluence or bowl , don't walk across them . Use a rest , sticks , tripod , bag or fencepost . Be steady . Above all enjoy your time .
The setup spot is the most important. Always call cross wind. Camo your face sit still. Have your caller 100yds from you. Use a howl call 1st fir 5 minutes. Then wait 5 minutes. Then next call, for 5 minutes wait. If they took off like you said, you got busted, either saw you , heard you, smelled you. Or changing the call too fast.

Best tip I can think of is read/watch all you can and spend time trying to apply it in the field. For a beginner practice makes perfect and you won't get perfect without practice. Don't overthink it and have fun!

60% of the coyotes we call in are yearlings. The older dominant Males and Females are real trophies. Calling in those Dominant coyotes can require a different approach. I used to hit the calling real hard in August and the first of Sept, getting all those dumb yearlings that I could, they are a real sucker to a pup in distress after a shot.