Questions

Chenault

I am new to the site and new to shooting and just wanted to ask some questions.I just got a Remington model 700 ADL in .270. It is stock and has a short 22 inch barrel. Will I lose any performance out of this barrel compared to a 24 inch barrel? I dont make handloads as of right now but plan on making some later. What factory ammo would you guys use for this gun with the short barrel? I plan on using this as a deer rifle with a max range of 3-400 yards. I dont have alot of money to buy a new barrel right now but plan on buying a new later on.

Any name-brand 130 or 140 grain factory load will work for deer. You don't need a premium bullet. When I first got my Rem 700, also in .270, I found the Remington 130 grain Core-Lokt shot very well. Try a couple of different brands/loads and see what you like.

I have a remington chambered for the .270 win also. The best factory ammo I have found for it yet have been the Winchester Supreme loaded with 130 gr. Nosler BT's

Thanks for the info squirrelmasher. I have heard a lot of good things about the 130 gr. Nosler BT's. People say they are the ultimate deer bullet.

I have the exact same gun a Remington 700 ADL in 270. I don't think you'll miss anything with a 22" barrel. I've been told that a 270 Ackley Improved, a 270 with a little bit more case volume, can utilize a 24" barrel in fact in a 22" barrel you probably wouldn't see much difference between a 270 Win and a 270 Ackley. I've always believed that you only really need the longer barrels for the real high capcity magnum cartridges. You'll see guys on here with 270s and 30" barrels. Now a 30" barrel will make a difference for sure but 22"-24" don't sweat it. As far as the 130 BT's they are amazing perhaps not the best choice for ultralong range as there are higher BC bullets and energy wise the 150 BT has an advantage at distance. That said my 270 absolutely loves the 130 Nosler BTs.

I shoot handloads using 58gr of H4831 considered "THE" powder for 270s. I would imagine factory ammo would use a very similar powder. All I've done to the gun is glass bed the action and lighten the trigger pull other than that it is stock. These are two very easy steps you can do at home that will make a big improvement if you haven't already.

IMG_3846small.jpg

That's 3 130gr Nosler BTs at 100 yds. in .573" edge to edge, center to center is just under .3" That is the best group I've ever shot and I can't do it all the time but my rifle will do it more often than I can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.