300PRC Questions

Catskills

I've got the itch for a new project. To be clear, this isn't a needed addition to my stable of hunting rifles (I already hunt with the following: Sako 7STW, Mark V 300WBY and 340WBY, and a T3x 270WSM).

Thinking about having a 300PRC built to supplement my 500+ yard hunting rifles (mule deer and elk). My 7STW and 300WBY are presently set up for 160 accubonds and factory 165 interlocks at 3350+fps. They work well to 500+ and change but are not optimal for longer ranges, and the 165g factory loads that shoot so well in my 300WBY are too fragile for close in elk hunting. I do have heavier bullets for loading both…but neither are twisted for real heavies.

I've contemplated a 300PRC but I'd like to focus on the 200-225g loads. Yes, I know the heavies have a lot of advantages as ranges get longer, but I don't envision ever choosing to shoot an unwounded animal beyond 700yds or so. Where I hunt, 500-700yd shot opportunities abound…and the wind is always blowing. Because I'm limited to a 360yd range at home, I lack the skill and experience to competently judge wind at long range. Another concern I have about longer range elk hunting is they can also be at distances measured in feet, so I'm hesitant to focus on VLD bullets that will completely fragment at close range if heavy bone is encountered.

With this background, I'm interested in how you'd set up a 300PRC. All in weight with scope needs to be <10lbs (the years and miles have caught up with me). My present thinking is a braked and fluted 24" barrel with a 1:9 twist. Bullet wise, I'm inclined to start with 200 and 210 accubonds. They are not perfect…but they perform predictably. I'm not inclined towards monos…but acknowledge they have probably improved since the "X" bullets that disappointed me decades ago. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have experience building/loading and hunting with the 300PRC?

Would you go a different direction? I have given some thought to a 338 Lapua but I think it cries out for a heavier rifle. FWIW, I did own a 30-378WBY a couple decades ago but never felt the weight, recoil and muzzle blast was worth an extra 200fps over the standard 300WBY. Thanks.

I've got the itch for a new project. To be clear, this isn't a needed addition to my stable of hunting rifles (I already hunt with the following: Sako 7STW, Mark V 300WBY and 340WBY, and a T3x 270WSM).

Thinking about having a 300PRC built to supplement my 500+ yard hunting rifles (mule deer and elk). My 7STW and 300WBY are presently set up for 160 accubonds and factory 165 interlocks at 3350+fps. They work well to 500+ and change but are not optimal for longer ranges, and the 165g factory loads that shoot so well in my 300WBY are too fragile for close in elk hunting. I do have heavier bullets for loading both…but neither are twisted for real heavies.

I've contemplated a 300PRC but I'd like to focus on the 200-225g loads. Yes, I know the heavies have a lot of advantages as ranges get longer, but I don't envision ever choosing to shoot an unwounded animal beyond 700yds or so. Where I hunt, 500-700yd shot opportunities abound…and the wind is always blowing. Because I'm limited to a 360yd range at home, I lack the skill and experience to competently judge wind at long range. Another concern I have about longer range elk hunting is they can also be at distances measured in feet, so I'm hesitant to focus on VLD bullets that will completely fragment at close range if heavy bone is encountered.

With this background, I'm interested in how you'd set up a 300PRC. All in weight with scope needs to be <10lbs (the years and miles have caught up with me). My present thinking is a braked and fluted 24" barrel with a 1:9 twist. Bullet wise, I'm inclined to start with 200 and 210 accubonds. They are not perfect…but they perform predictably. I'm not inclined towards monos…but acknowledge they have probably improved since the "X" bullets that disappointed me decades ago. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have experience building/loading and hunting with the 300PRC?

Would you go a different direction? I have given some thought to a 338 Lapua but I think it cries out for a heavier rifle. FWIW, I did own a 30-378WBY a couple decades ago but never felt the weight, recoil and muzzle blast was worth an extra 200fps over the standard 300WBY. Thanks.
I have a no turn 300PRC/ Sako 85/ 1:9 with a reverse? double taper Walther ss barrel, low suffer. It is braked. The long magazine allows me to shoot A-Tip 230 grain high bc bullets. For seating bullets out to where they "should " be you need just under a 4 inch mag, longer than what 338 laupua mags are. Not there, but still not stuffing the case full of bullet. This shoots way better than I can. Fill the case, AGD, with US 869, 93.5 grain, hold finger over mouth of case and tap VIGOROUSLY to settle powder, this is MAX volume, no signs of pressure in MY gun.