Questions questions questions

darrindlh

Hello boys!!

What should my next caliber be? I have a 7 stw and would like a comparable cartridge that i could use for longrange as well. What say you guys?

Darrin

"Comparatable cartridge" Not sure why since the 7 STW is one hell of a hot rod. Now if I wanted something bigger than I would think 338 or something smaller than I would think 6.5.

I am kicking around a couple of 6.5s for a itch I currently have.

Rick,
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the typo. Lol I meant compatible cartridge. I love my stw. How ever two longrange rigs are way better than one. Lol. I was considering a 338 but just was throwing out the question. my uncle is currently shooting a 6.5x284. It is one hell of a round as well. Again sorry for my mistake and thank you for the reply.

Darrin

Hello boys!!

What should my next caliber be? I have a 7 stw and would like a comparable cartridge that i could use for longrange as well. What say you guys?

Darrin

I guess it depends on what you're wantin' to hunt!?!

From all accounts, the 7STW is a freakin' death-hammer to a lonnnng way out (and with reasonable barrel consumption at that). Honestly, you've made a great choice with it.

If you're wanting smaller, noting the reference to your uncle's 6.5mm-284, yeah one of the current 6.5mm press-princesses (6.5mmCreedmoor/6.5-284Win/26 Nosler/et al) would accomplish that. If even smaller, again, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and/or avoid (hefty recoil, obnoxious muzzle blast, less expensive components, etc).....

However, if you're really wanting to "up your game" noticeably, yeah a big 338 would most likely be your next caliber destination. I'm skipping the .30cal because what you have brings similar performance to the big .30's.

I've listed the "big" 338's from generally fast to MUCH faster;
1) 338 RUM
2) 338 "Edge"
3) 338 Lapua
4) 338 Edge +P
5) 338 Lapua AI
6) 338-378 Weatherby
7) 338 AX (Allen Express)
8) 338 AM (Allen Mag) or similar 338 CheyTac chamberings

Otherwise something really huge like a 375 CheyTac/375 SnipeTac.

From there, maybe a 20mm Anzio?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.