Questions for barrel gurus

Totoro

Hey fellas, in your experiences whom makes the fastest barrels assuming same bore/groove dimension and barrel length regardless of rifling method?

And which barrels clean up fastest and/or foul the least after appropriate barrel break in?

Thx

In my experience, the barrel finish can /will effect the velocity.

I have used many different barrels and the only noticeable velocity gain I have seen has been with the Lilja barrels, although be it small most of the time. Normally, after a good brake in they are all pretty much the same
based on the quality of the barrel.

I am sure that others have seen this in other brands. this is just my experiences.

J E CUSTOM

In my experience, the barrel finish can /will effect the velocity.

I have used many different barrels and the only noticeable velocity gain I have seen has been with the Lilja barrels, although be it small most of the time. Normally, after a good brake in they are all pretty much the same
based on the quality of the barrel.

I am sure that others have seen this in other brands. this is just my experiences.

J E CUSTOM

I cannot speak for the velocity gain but I am very pleased with my 30" Lilja SS 3G 1:8" #6 contour barrel on my .270 AI; it hard fouls and very easy to clean and of course very accurate if I do my part.

Ed

Thx for the replies fellas!

I've been discussing a build with an established riflesmith and he mentioned that the button barrels he's using is on average faster than any other button or cut barrel he had used.

My experience with between the button (Shilen, PacNor 6 groove 300x308) and rifled barrels (Rock, Krieger 6 groove 300x308) just the opposite; the cut barrels were faster with same lot factory ammo as baseline.

That being said, I realize that each barrel is its own.

A faster or slower barrel is a crap shoot, the finish inside the barrel is the biggest factor whether fast or slow and how it cleans up, not the land or groove configuration.

Last edited:
Most barrels will pickup MV around that 100 Rd mark. The only break in you need on good quality lapped barrels is the throat area after chambering.

The Broughton tends to run the fastest but I'm not really happy with the ones I've used though they shoot decent. Lija will be the fastest to shoot out!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts