Barrel questions

Riflemanse

Hi

I will rebarrel my Rem 700 in 300WM but are a little unsure what lenght, twist and contour I should chose. It will be a Lothar Walther barrels since they are
easy to obtain here in Sweden and for a good price, and they usually shoot great.

The stock barrel are thin and only 24" long. I want a little heavier barrel (Varmint or match profile), Ill hunt with 180 - 210 gr bullets.

I need to decide fast since I will order a new stock this week and will have it inletted for the comming barrel.

Here can you see the different contours from Lothar Walther
Lothar Walther

Right now I think this one would be a fair compromise in weight and dimension. Maybe with 6 flutes on it, but what lenght?

bild4406_2.jpg

Contour #3100: Light Weight Target

ØD1 = 0.750"
ØD2 = 1.000"
ØD3 = 1.200"
L1 = 3.0"
L2 = 7.0"
L3 = 26" or 28"

Last edited:
Can you recomend a contour? I know I have to compromise a little since I dont want a rifle that is to heavy but at the same time I want a stiff barrel that dont get hot in two rounds. I might add flutes to improve cooling.

you migh check a medium Palma conture and have it fluted , their 2140 conture looks to close to what a medium palma would be.
Have your checked with Border barrels they are on your side of the pond and may be easy to get.

If your shooting a 300 win mag I to would recomend no shorter than 26' to get all the good out of the case with those heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts