Questions about the BR-2 and BR-4 Rangefinders

Allen Kitts

Here is my question. I read a lot on here about the long range hunting and shooting most of you do and I wonder why I don't hear that much about people using one of these rangefinders. I try to find as much information on here as I can to help me become a better long range marksman and hunter and these rangefinders have helped me considerably so that why I am posting.

Please understand when it comes to long range practicing and hunting I have only been doing it for about 8-10 years and my longest shot to date on a live animal is 851 yards on a Blesbuck in South Africa.

I am by no means what I would consider to be a great long range shooter or even marginally knowledgeable when it comes to all of the aspects of the long range hunting world but I try very hard and am always eager to learn more.

I have validated my favorite long range rifle to 1400 yards on steel plates and also on miscellaneous debris such as large rocks when in the field. I have used the BR-2 rangefinder exclusively with a wind meter for the entire time and to the best of my knowledge the BR-2 has never let me down or given me what I would consider to be bad information. I just this spring/summer replaced the BR-2 with a BR-4 because of the the size of the unit itself and for some of the upgrades that the BR-4 offers, not because there was anything wrong with the BR-2.

I understand that these range finders are kind of expensive but based on what I see guys spending on guns, optics, hunts and other gadgets on this site the pricing really pales in comparison for what I feel you get with these rangefinders. The units both figure hold over and hold off for distance and wind, (wind speed readings are figured with a Kestrel wind meter, not a function of the BR-2 or BR-4), they take into consideration the atmospheric pressure, temperature and elevation. They also figure for uphill and downhill adjustments based on the angle you are looking at. Its basically, validate the ballistics of your favorite rifle, punch in those ballistics, point and fire the rangefinder and it displays range and the amount of compensation that you need to figure for your shot in inches or MOA all in one unit.

Of course these units are only as good as the information that is programmed into them but I validate my loads every time I shoot any one of my rifles at something over 500 yards. Both units are very easy to set up and work like a champ, at least they have for me. I have been fortunate enough to have taken animals in the 500 to 700 yard range every year since owning these units so I have to believe they work as advertised. They range well beyoned these yardages but I myself am not confident enough in my ability to take a longer shot than what I have taken so far. The blesbuck I shot at 851 yards had no idea I was even in South Africa. He was feeding in a fairly open area and took many pauses while doing so. It took me fifteen to twenty minutes to finally get comfortable enough with my rest and sight picture to pull the trigger.

With all of this being said I want to make sure everyone that reads this knows that I am not a paid spokesperson, employee or owner for the manufacturer of these two rangefinders. I certainly am not trying to advocate that everyone on here should buy one of these rangefinders. I am just an end user that is very happy with what I have and am curious as to why more people are not using them.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing your replies.

I've had a BR2 for I don't know 6 or 7 years at least I love it . been wanting to try to upgrade to the BR 2500 I've seen 3 come on this site and get snapped up before I can get the money together