Question about Forster hand held neck turner?

davewilson

i have a Forster hand held neck turner and the cutter on mine has a 90 deg corner that goes into the shoulder of the case. this never seemed correct to me and i've talked with more than one person there and they tell me that's the way it's supposed to be. a while ago i'm looking at pictures posted by Woods on another thread and his cutter has the chamfer that blends into the shoulder. his turner is also a Forster just like mine except of course for the position of the carbide cutter. again they've assured me mine is correct and his is not the way it appears(or he says it is) mine actually has a chamfer but it's facing the opposite direction doing nothing.
i'm just wondering if anyone else has a Forster hand held neck turner and which way the chamfer on the cutter is positioned on it?

"i'm just wondering if anyone else has a Forster hand held neck turner and which way the chamfer on the cutter is positioned on it?"

I have a HOT-100 and really like it, chamfer and all. Not sure what you mean about which way the chamfer is positioned; it's on top of the cutter and is at the shoulder end of the neck. ??

You can easily grind a chamfer on your's if you have a Dremel tool and a diamond bit. The angle on mine is about 40 degrees.

thanks for your response but i'm not concerned with any other mfg turner, only the Forster hand held version. reason being my chamfer is exactly opposite of Woods and was wondering what others have.

Dave, try not to make posts before you have had a cup of coffee! :D

It also helps if you do a little less sitting on the floor on Saturday morning watching Captain Kangaroo.

Unloosen the screw, slide the blade out, turn it over and slide it back in and tighten up the screw again.

If it makes you feel any better I always thought I had chipped the corner off and that was why it had an angle to it. lightbulb

thanks for your response but i'm not concerned with any other mfg turner, only the Forster hand held version. reason being my chamfer is exactly opposite of Woods and was wondering what others have.

That's some funny stuff right there.

The HOT-100 IS the Forster hand held neck turner.

Mine looks exactly like Woods'. It sounds as if your cutter was put in backwards. The beveled edge should be at the shoulder. Forster may have hired a newby that didn't know *** they were doing during assembly.

Here is what it should look like:

219509.jpg

OK, you got me. i had no idea(obviously) it was the hot-100. i appologize. i assume yours is also with the chamfer towards the shoulder.

Bob, the cutter can only go in one way. it has a notch that rides on the screw controling the depth of cut. you're right about the coffee though. never touch the stuff. i haven't grown up yet, still hit the Mountain Dew!

remember, 2 different people at Forster have told me it's designed so the 90 degree corner goes into the shoulder. hope to find out soon, it's on it's way to Forster.

Bob, the cutter can only go in one way. it has a notch that rides on the screw controling the depth of cut. you're right about the coffee though. never touch the stuff.

Try some coffee and then do what I said.

I just took mine apart and switched it to make sure. Wasted all of three minutes of my time.

If you are in desperate need I can send you mine for a while. I do not have a 338 mandrel for it. It is just sitting on the self gathering dust.

Let me see if I can help out with some pics

DSCN1357.jpg

DSCN1361.jpg

DSCN1364.jpg

The cutter can only be installed one way because the slot has to fit over the adjustment screw flange (unless you want to try and turn with the end of the cutter that doesn't have a blade on it). The angle on mine is towards the shoulder as it seems it should be to sorta match the angle of the shoulder.

Dave's is not.

Woods, thanks for the pics, yes, mine is exactly opposite of yours.

again, what amazes me is they assure me mine is right and now i know of 3 people and a couple of advertizing pictures that all show it "WRONG".

Dave, 2 thoughts come to mind:

1) they simply changed design for unknown reasons, which, would be confusing to me.

2) they fabricated the cutting edge incorrectly/backwards, and it is truly a mistake, but will still work.

I'd be contacting them, referring them to the pictures we posted, and ask what is up. It makes ZERO sense to me to not have a beveled edge towards the shoulder.

I have taken mine apart again and either I must have gotten confused on which way it was in the first time and believed I had changed it around or something. Sorry about being so sure that I had switched it.

Anyway, the offer still stands that I can mail you my blade if you are in a hurry.

Jim, thanks for the offer, but i'm OK with the brass i have using boat tail bullets. i have a significant donut on both sides of the neck but doesn't interfere with function. curious what "Bob" at Forster will say about my turner.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.