hart neck turner

bigfella350

I

Have the opportunity to buy a rw Hart neck Turner with all the mandrels and accessories I'd need to turn the calibers I'd planned. It's a great price but the micrometer dial looks to have been removed.I've been looking at micrometer heads online and on eBay but I wanted to make sure it would be possible to put a new micro. Head in the Turning tool??
Looks like it would be as long as hole size in the tool matched the base of the micrometer. Most common size I've saw so far looks to be 1/2" & to me the opening in the Turner seems to look smaller than this.

I

Have the opportunity to buy a rw Hart neck Turner with all the mandrels and accessories I'd need to turn the calibers I'd planned. It's a great price but the micrometer dial looks to have been removed.I've been looking at micrometer heads online and on eBay but I wanted to make sure it would be possible to put a new micro. Head in the Turning tool??
Looks like it would be as long as hole size in the tool matched the base of the micrometer. Most common size I've saw so far looks to be 1/2" & to me the opening in the Turner seems to look smaller than this.

I have Hart neck tuner and only marks are who made it, Mitutoya and I've never removed it from neck turner. You might be better off calling Hart and getting one from them.

Ok I might try that. I went ahead and bought it bc he ended up selling for 50 since the micrometer head was missing. Looks like I could get by using feeler gauges, lk most say they do with some of the Sinclair units, if it does indeed take a lil bit to find A micro. To fit . He said the hole where the micrometer mounts was approx 4mm in diameter but I'm going to wait til I have in had and inspect b4 ordering another bc idk if it's threaded or anything yet.

Ok I might try that. I went ahead and bought it bc he ended up selling for 50 since the micrometer head was missing. Looks like I could get by using feeler gauges, lk most say they do with some of the Sinclair units, if it does indeed take a lil bit to find A micro. To fit . He said the hole where the micrometer mounts was approx 4mm in diameter but I'm going to wait til I have in had and inspect b4 ordering another bc idk if it's threaded or anything yet.

Inside micrometer head is the stem which moves the cutter and cutter head is spring tension
as stem is not attached to cutter head. You can not move cutter without something pushing against it and if it moves then spring would be missing. Face of cutter is screw and that was hold spring tension in place under cutter head. Dia for micrometer head is important as is dia for the stem that moves the cutter and I'm guessing stem dia no more than .200 and that's pretty close to cutter width.

It's pretty hard for me to understand seller not telling you this if he's the one that removed micrometer.

I got it in the mail earlier today. Upon looking it over rly good, appears to be just an older model Hart had previously made that didn't have a micrometer installed at the time. It came with the orig receipt and the date on it is 1980. Still feels like excellent quality tho, very heavy and durable feeling and the only difference I see b/w this one and the newer model is the set screw for cutter adjust where the micrometer now mounts. The hole is very small and threaded and looks to be maybe a #6 size Allen screw. I'm going to try just using feeler gauges to set depth 1st and if this doesn't prove to be accurate enough I might try adding a micro if possible. I'm supposed to call Hart today bľc I'd emailed them and they said they had replacement micrometers for these turners but I needed to call and talk to a guy named Bob Baylor I think.

I ended up getting the Hart Turner I was asking questions about setup and just marked what it was set at and left it for the next time I need to turn some more 300 win mag brass. I did really like the look and smoothness of the cut and everything was spot on. I later found another for sale online that had the micrometer head for sale online for a steal at only $25 . I quickly bought and it came with a 270 mandrel which I have no use for and I needed a 6Nm mandrel to use in the hart tool . After several attempts of emailing and calling 'rw Hart to order anothe mandrel with no success , I finallly just started looking for an alternative .
What I learned was that the Hart turners mandrel base size is .375 or 3/8". This is also the same size that Sinclair and pma uses so I just ordered one from pma and along with that got one of his expander dies and some expander mandrels for 6 mm and 30cal to reduce galling and achieve a more precise fit. Both setups work flawlessly and I'm very happy with everything .
I just figured I'd post this in case anyone else ran into a similiar problem and needed any of this info because I know, for me it was a literal pita to find the info I needed to get these turners back up and running properly.
In the end, I think I've got $75 in the 2 turners, $55 in mandrels & expanders/expander dies, $15 in a Lee 3 jaw Chuck, & use my electric drill on very low speed which I owned already. So for less than $150 I came out with 2 awesome neck turning setups and when I was shopping around for a new Turner I couldn't find 1 high quality neck turning kit for less than $200 when it was all said & done. Also have just $80 in my rcbs powdermaster electronic powder dispensing setup :)
Just shows u don't have to be rich to get into long range shooting / precision reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.