question about neck turning

dmax1800

I'm new to neck turning and am wondering about the steps.
I'm going to FL resize without the expander ball. Then trim each case to the same length. Then debur the case mouth. Then run expander mandrel and immediately turn the neck so that the mouth can't spring back.
Would it be a good idea to anneal the brass before FL resizing them??? I only have 2 firings on them since they were annealed, so I don't need to anneal them for just that reason.

Neck turning is when you uniform the neck thickness, you are asking about annealing.

The guys I shoot with size then anneal. They are some of the top shooters, one guy just missed a world record at our regional shoot. He eclipsed the X total by at least 4, but dropped one too many points.

I'm new to neck turning and am wondering about the steps.
I'm going to FL resize without the expander ball. Then trim each case to the same length. Then debur the case mouth. Then run expander mandrel and immediately turn the neck so that the mouth can't spring back.
Would it be a good idea to anneal the brass before FL resizing them??? I only have 2 firings on them since they were annealed, so I don't need to anneal them for just that reason.

Here is a good article on neck turning. Maybe it can help you.
Neck Turning Basics

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.