Discussion about neck turning

@EEReloader,
Just so we're clear here. You turn necks to a consistent neck wall thickness. This makes bullet release consistent shell to shell.
You adjust neck tension using a neck bushing die and different neck mandrels. You can buy mandrels in .001 or less increments.
You don't particularly want to try to adjust neck tension by turning necks to different thicknesses.

Mike,
I followed what Justice mentioned and I cut some necks last night and they looked ok. I have 100 pieces blue bag Winchester brass, and cut 10 to .013". I am curious as to the discussion of neck tension. I am working on making hunting ammo; with that said what would be your recommendation for neck tension. I keep hearing .002" but is that number ok for all ammo or should I go a bit more with ammo used for hunting maybe .003". Any help would be appreciated. Also thanks everyone for answering and helping this noob learn something new. Much appreciated.
Go with GLTaylor post. You have to feel your way through it. It takes some time, but I feel it worth it with your own rifle or rifles. What works for one may not work on another rifle. Reloading is what makes it interesting to me. I haven't shot a rifle that I own with factory ammo from the second one. You will have to find out what works and doesn't work or worth the effort to do all that. I would bank on the match shooters, and what they are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.