Question about bulk Brass

Matt Regalia

I have a 338 Lapua. I have been reloading for about 2-3 years but have only used factory brass (factory loads that I have shot in the gun and then kept the brass). I found some un-fired Lapua brass at a gun show and bought 20 pieces. When I got home the brass cycled in the gun fine but would not slide into the RCBS shell holder in my press. Is this common for bulk brass? Do you need to mill the grove deeper on all bulk un-fired brass? Or was this batch bad?

Also do any on you have a line on some reasonably priced Lapua factory ammo. The best I can find in Michigan is $95.00 a box of 20.

Matt

I've bought both the Norma and Lapua brand of 338 Lapua brass. I've never had this problem with new brass. I did buy some supposedly "once" fired brass and a few pieces had the same problem as you have. I have no idea what caused the problem but since I had a couple hundred pieces at that time I just tossed them. For your question on Lapua ammo Graf and Sons used to sell it at around 80-85 a box. Just as a side note the Norma brand lapua brass can be found considerbly cheaper than the Lapua brand (last batch I bought was $129 per 100. And the brass is up to the usual Norma standards of high quality. Hope this info helps.

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

338 Lapua,

Is there any different process to follow when loading "new" unfired brass vs factory load you already shot in the gun. Currently my process is: Clean, neck size/de-prime, trim (if necessary)and deburr, prime, powder, seat bullet.

Thanks for the info on the Norma brass.

Matt

Well, this is what I do for new cases, may be right or wrong but here goes...I first full length resize the cases, trim all cases, debur and chamfer, uniform the flash holes, uniform the primer pockets, then I weigh all of the cases and segregate the over or underweight ones. Then I get the RCBS casemaster and check the contrinceity (SP?) and segregate the ones that are out of round. I don't yet have a neck turner but will be getting one soon to aleive the contrincity problem. Then I primer, charge, and load the bullets. then I will go back to the contricity gauge and check bullet run out, and set the ones with the most run out for sighters. Anyway, that's what I do I'm sure alot of people will disagree with this process but for what it's worth here ya' go. Alot of these process only have to be done once. If need anything else let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.