question about berger bullets

Robster80

ive got a tikka 308 and a remington 270 and wanting to try these berger bullets. i see cabelas has some hsm trophy gold loaded with berger vld. seem to get good reviews but some have accuracy issues. one guy says it ruins meat too much,etc. has anyone shot these in either of these calibers?

The Berger VLD hunting bullet usually goes into the game 2 to 3 inches even through the shoulder of a deer then completely comes unglued. The result is like a small hand grenade going off. On deer size game it usually blows an exit hole the size of a baseball at least that is how the 155 gr .308 from my 30X47 with a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps does at 111 yards. Completely ruined the front shoulders of the deer. I went back to the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips. Just my experience.

Robster, have never had to search for anything I shot with a Berger VLD hunting bullet. Although a friend's mother is always ****ed cause the heart is destroyed and all she gets is the liver.

I shot 2 deer on back-to-back days in the woods this past year. Both with the same rifle and box of handloads. Got 2 different results. Had one go in, explode, and leave a baseball sized exit and the deer ran about 15 yards and dropped. I shot that deer in the lungs (ribs) instead of the shoulder to save the meat. Worked perfectly.

The 2nd deer I shot in the lower shoulder (perfectly broadside) directly through the heart with a pin-hole entrance, pin-hole exit, no blood, and no meat damage. Dropped her in her tracks and never took a step. She was dead before she hit the ground. I'm not convinced this one expanded, but it does go to show you that whether a bullet expands or not, that shot placement is more important than anything.

Both shots were between 175-225 yards.

I will definitely continue to use Berger bullets. They are incredibly accurate and put 2 deer down with 2 shots. I have no complaints.

Shot two mulies and one very large WT with the 140 6.5mm, pencil entrance and exit, all DRT, between 150 and 405 yards. I think one would be wise to use these on broad side shots. But I'll use them because they shoot so well and the deer have gone straight down so far...

Shot two mulies and one very large WT with the 140 6.5mm, pencil entrance and exit, all DRT, between 150 and 405 yards. I think one would be wise to use these on broad side shots. But I'll use them because they shoot so well and the deer have gone straight down so far...

Hey, was this a VLD or a Hybrid?

I used to process wild game for a living and meat quality is a huge factor for me, it was one of the biggest reasons I switched to Berger bullets.

I shot 2 deer on back-to-back days in the woods this past year. Both with the same rifle and box of handloads. Got 2 different results. Had one go in, explode, and leave a baseball sized exit and the deer ran about 15 yards and dropped. I shot that deer in the lungs (ribs) instead of the shoulder to save the meat. Worked perfectly.

The 2nd deer I shot in the lower shoulder (perfectly broadside) directly through the heart with a pin-hole entrance, pin-hole exit, no blood, and no meat damage. Dropped her in her tracks and never took a step. She was dead before she hit the ground. I'm not convinced this one expanded, but it does go to show you that whether a bullet expands or not, that shot placement is more important than anything.

Both shots were between 175-225 yards.

I will definitely continue to use Berger bullets. They are incredibly accurate and put 2 deer down with 2 shots. I have no complaints.

What cartridge/bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.