QUARTER BORE SST??

ok boys and girls; I've been getting some squeaky wheel greasing on a 25 SST to shoot the new 131 Blackjacks. It might be a good time with ADG brass now a reality.
Sooooo, how many people would actually build one? I suspect I could get close to 3300' with the right throat in it and a 26" barrel.......rich
3175 FPS is close enough for PRS, and 3212 FPS is just a ton and a half of energy. That is just as impressive as getting 3200 ft. lbs. out of a 35 Whelen 250 grain brush buster @ 2400 FPS. LOL

3175 FPS is close enough for PRS, and 3212 FPS is just a ton and a half of energy. That is just as impressive as getting 3200 ft. lbs. out of a 35 Whelen 250 grain brush buster @ 2400 FPS. LOL
We have more results coming soon but someone hit 3350' with H1000 and it won't be the top velocity powder although it should make a good combination at some node.

We have more results coming soon but someone hit 3350' with H1000 and it won't be the top velocity powder although it should make a good combination at some node.
I hear you Brother, but I have seen 257 Weatherby barrels without any rifling in the first half of the barrel. I am not much of one to be an investor in Krieger or Bartlein. LOL

Yes and no... I've found it has similar performance/burn rate, but I never was able to get H1000 to work consistently for me. I also couldn't get Retumbo to do anything worth a crap, either.
I have been told IMR 7977 is easier to clean up after in the barrel than H-1000. I don't have any personal knowledge of it, though .

I have been told IMR 7977 is easier to clean up after in the barrel than H-1000. I don't have any personal knowledge of it, though .
I will say this, I have noticed it is a very clean shooting powder. 7828 SSC and Varget are also both very clean shooting powders I have noticed over the years. I haven't tried CFE-223 enough to give a definite answer, but it supposedly has the same clean-burning technology (CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser). In my lever guns, the factory Hornady LeverEvolution was a very clean shooting ammo as well, so I would assume the Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder is also as clean. I have some of it, but haven't tried it enough to give definitive answers on it, either. I did notice H1000 was a pretty dirty powder in all the rifles I tried it in. Retumbo was filthy...I'll never use it again.

One of the dirtiest powders I shoot is H110. It shoots great, and is a smooth burner (even with hot loads, it's still smoother in your hand than with factory ammo). But after 50-100 rounds through my .357 revolvers, it looks like I was open-carrying it in a coal mine. I have an 8lb. jug of Alliant Power Pro 300-MP for my .300 BLK and .44 Mags, but I'm really tempted to try it in my .357 Mags, too, to see if it burns cleaner than H110.

I am really thinking about doing one of these. I have followed the Sherman line for quite a while. I think it is great that you are using ADG for brass.

Elkaholic, my question is this: it seems that the 25 SST Is able to attain higher velocities than a 25 SAUM or a 25 PRC. Do you think that's the case? If so, why? Blackjack has reamers for a 25 PRC. Trying to decide.

Not to mention, I ran the numbers on a 131 gr blackjack going 3300 ft./s. Not to mention, a lot of people are claiming a .350 G7 at distance for this bullet. The numbers are silly.

1200 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards and 6 inches of wind drift in a 10 mph cross wind

Not to mention, I ran the numbers on a 131 gr blackjack going 3300 ft./s. Not to mention, a lot of people are claiming a .350 G7 at distance for this bullet. The numbers are silly.

1200 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards and 6 inches of wind drift in a 10 mph cross wind
I agree that the numbers are crazy on that bullet which makes it very appealing with less recoil than a 6.5/140.
We haven't done enough testing yet to know exactly what velocities it will run comfortably , but there's no doubt it will be on cruise control at PRS speeds. I know Chase was running the velocities up above where we would likely run during testing but that's how you proof things. It will outrun a PRC for sure because it has more volume and is more efficient with a shorter burn column with the coal around 2.860" to the lands. The bullet is up in the neck a bit where it should be. (More useable capacity) As far as the Saum goes, at that same coal under 2.9", it is likely at least it's equal for the reasons listed. The SAUM does have a slight edge in capacity if the bullet is allowed to be seated where the SST is, but that would closer to 3".
Im pretty sure it could be run at 3300' with powders like RL26, N565, and Retumbo. Maybe even 3350?

It is an impressive combo. But I'm showing more around 40" of drift for a 10mph 3 clock 1000 DA.

With rl26 and n570 you can easily run 3300fps, probably with double digit brass life. I tested a couple of pieces of brass running 3300 with H-1000 and got 6 firings.

It is an impressive combo. But I'm showing more around 40" of drift for a 10mph 3 clock 1000 DA.

With rl26 and n570 you can easily run 3300fps, probably with double digit brass life. I tested a couple of pieces of brass running 3300 with H-1000 and got 6 firings.
Like they say, The best is good enough. It is better than any 6 mm bullet and that is quite achievement not only for hunting, but PRS competition too. 3180 with a reported B.C. of ~.349 G-7 is phenomenal. I wish they would publish bearing surface length, and form factor etc. though. Bullet length is not outrageously long at 1.415". You just cannot beat Rich Sherman's Wildcats.

Recent Posts