Quarter bore question

FMI

My 25 cal 3 grove 10 twist Lija is being snake fluted right now, figured it would be a good time to finally select the chambering for it. I'm pretty much down to either a 257 STW or 25 Banshee. I'm looking for information advise and warning from people who have experience with these chamberings.

I forgot to mention barrel length is 27"

Chamber it in 25-06 and you may double the life of an expensive barrel.

I can't tell you how many people told me how short my throat life would be when I had my first barrel chambered in 7 STW. With great care the accuracy life was not quite 1,000 rounds.

All else being equal, the 257 STW would have measurably less bore life than the 7 STW. If all-out performance is more important than reasonable barrel life than the 257 STW would certainly be a fun cartridge to shoot.

As to the 25 Banshee - I'm not familiar with this cartridge. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this one.

257 banshee

This cartridge is based on the 6.5X68 RWS case. I'd rather have something with more availability. So, other than the STW, You could also look Kirby up and go with one of his 257 wildkitties, or settle for a 257 weatherby. I'm a 25 nut, so you have my blessings. Pics would be great when you are done. Good luck. wk

In your shoes, I would build a .257 Wby. A nice balance of performance, accuracy, reasonable barrel life and available factory brass.

Is your action long enough for the .257 STW?

Good shooting, Tom

Varmit,

This rifle once the loads are worked and I get comfortable with it will be luck to see 10 rounds down the pipe a year. I have a bunch of other rifles for shooting. This is to fill a niche that I am don't really think is really there.

WK,

PM sent, pictures will be posted upon completion of this and the 6.5-284.

Tom,

The wby does everything I need a .25cal to do but is to vanilla for me in this project. Action length is good.

My vote goes for the 25-300 Win mag

2 Reasons

1) better brass , $165 you get 100 pieces of Lapua brass and you will shoot out your barrel before you need more , its WAY stonger and WAY more consistant that any STW brass your gonna find.

2) your gonna get very close to the same speeds as the STW with a little less powder and shorter case that will fit the mag better with bulles seated out long.

I reload for a 25-300 Win , with a 28" barrel and Lapua brass we get 3800+fps with 11ogr Accubonds with great accuracy and no pressure signs , it flattens deer out to 500yds and I would imagine alot further. We are gonna try some 115gr Berger VLD's to see if they will group at higher speeds then try the gun on some paper at 1000yds.

If your going to be shooting bullets of 100 grains or lighter, the 25 WSM will dang near match the much larger rounds. It will easily match the Wby and be within 100 fps to 150 fps of the STW and banshee especially with bullets under 100 grains.

The performance of the STW and Banshee is pretty much identical. There really is no difference between them other then the RWS case being able to be loaded to higher pressures and that may show some increase in max performance. Still cases are hard to find and expensive.

If you want an ultra performance 25 cal, the STW is hard to beat, easy to form cases, alot of performance and relatively user friendly as far as loading.

Again, if you want a higher volume shooter and would be able to give up a bit of velocity for more barrel life, the 25 WSM would be a great choice.

Kirby Allen(50)

James,

That is a round I had considered but had not been able to find any ballistics on to really think about it to much. Also considered 25-300RUM...:D

You just made this harder on me now. When you get a chance to try out the 115 Berger's I would be interested in seeing your numbers. Have you tried anything other than the 110 Accubonds to this point?

Kirby,

Thank you for taking your time to post in my thread. Coming from you a recommendation gets notice in my book. If I wasn't so dead set on doing this rifle build myself I'd probably be getting a 257 Allen Mag...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts