"propreitary" powders... :o

To quote a famous person on here.:cool:gun)

"Reloading is one of the few times in life when it pays to allow yourself to be truly paranoid!"

There's an extremely simple answer to this. A person who developes loads with powders that are listed in published reloading manuals is not putting himself or anyone else at undue risk, no matter what the motivation for choosing that particular component.

There's an extremely simple answer to this. A person who developes loads with powders that are listed in published reloading manuals is not putting himself or anyone else at undue risk, no matter what the motivation for choosing that particular component.

God bless you! :)

I think those who object to sleuthing factory recipes are really coming down in two main categories. 1) they suspect that someone will "short-cut" the process and proceed with a full power load merely on a hunch, and 2) they're saying it's wrong to think that factories are using canister powders.

I have shared my own experience after sleuthing dozens of factory recipes over the years, and have rarely had trouble duplicating factory load performance with the powder I concluded they were using. If the charge needed to be adjusted from what I found in the factory shells, it was no more than you'll find between different lots of off the shelf powder. Folks are free to believe I'm deluded, and have drawn incorrect conclusions as to the factory powders I've sleuthed... but let's just say that if Remington isn't using IMR 4350 in their .243 100 grain core-lokt ammo, that proprietary powder, whatever it is, looks like, quacks like, smells like--and most importantly walks like IMR 4350. :)

For the record, I did find some off the wall powder in some old Lake City match ammo... 45 grains of what looked like but could not have been 4895 (with 173 grain bullets)... and though it might have been 4320, I found pressure signs with 4320 at just under 44 grains... so it was an off lot, perhaps a weathered lot of 4895? I still don't have a clue... I've got that shell with a sample of its powder, disassembled and scotch taped to a card... hanging on the wall in my reloading room. :) Some Federal .223 loads had what appeared to be H335... but if it was, it was an off-lot... I couldn't discern what it was, though I didn't go out and buy a pound of everything I didn't already have on the shelf to continue my endeavor... maybe it was canister, or maybe off-lot. But I'm fairly certain Federal didn't have a special blend of powder cooked up for the .223 Remington--too many good powders already exist. Hodgdon got into business with a HUGE off lot of IMR 4831... off-lots are out there, and of course factories, looking to save a buck will buy and use the stuff when they can get a deal on it. But there isn't an endless supply of these off-lot powders, and as I've mentioned before, it doesn't make good sense for a factory to have a powder specially made where there are canister grade powders all ready and waiting and much cheaper that will do the job. With a new cartridge just coming out where no canister powder seems to get the most from it (Kevin mentioned the 7mm Rem Mag IIRC), then yes, it's plausible, feasible and necessary to have something made. But it won't be long until that powder, if the cartridge it was designed for takes off, is packaged in 1 pound cans for the consumption of the reloading masses... powder makers like to make money more than powder...

We know that handloading can be dangerous.. .and I like that comment T3-Ole Man shared regarding the healthy paranoia that one needs to have in place when handloading. "Blend" that paranoia with some good old fashion common sense and no one's gonna get hurt.

On the other hand, if one is to throw the safety practices we all espouse out the window, anything could happen. Most reloading accidents that occur (from what I've seen) involve pistol or shotgun powder, somehow finding its way into a rifle cartridge. Bad juju. :eek:

I designed the OCW load development system a dozen or so years ago, looking for a way to duplicate the "universality" of good factory load recipes. This is why I, and those who have helped me over the years, began taking apart factory ammo and seeing what was inside. I don't know how many folks use the OCW system of load development today, but there are a lot, and I'm thankful that God allowed me to contribute that system to the handloading craft. If you google my name, Dan Newberry, you'll find the pages that contain information on the OCW system. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, just saying that this system grew out of my desire to understand what ammo makers were really doing, how they were doing it, and what they were using. :)

At 11 pages and counting, this thread has turned into whizzing match, with no one wanting to be viewed by the readers as having lost the debate. But I think the discourse probably devolved into little more than a cyber-fracas several pages back, and in some cases posts are probably not being fully read, let alone understood, before the "reply" button is hit. :(

I still don't have a clue... :(

So far, that's about the only thing he's gotten right. I said I was done with the OP, not the thread. I still feel some affirmative obligation to try and keep a new guy (like Riley) from getting hurt or damaging a rifle due to following foolish advice from some self-styled expert.

A few things here; He's just provided an example of just such a misidentification with his coments about LC Match Ammo (he didn't say if this was M118, M852 or M118LR, but the 173 grain reference tips it as M118) being loaded with what he thought was IMR4320. It was most likely IMR4895 or possibly IMR4064. The 4895 load was the standard load for most of the Remington era at Lake City, as they were then tied in directly with DuPont, who at that time was still producing the IMR powders. LC Match ammo, however, would never have used the 4320, regardless of who held the contract. It is too slow-burning a powder and would produce excessive port pressure, even if the ammo itself was well below the govt. specs for chamber pressure. Despite the charge weight he describes, it was in all probablity IMR4895. Here's why. When a new run is begun at LC (i.e., a new batch of powder), the load is worked up from scratch, to the hundredth of a grain. Not a tenth, but one one-hundredth of a grain. The point isn't that the entire run will be loaded to that level of charge weight accuracy, but to establish (precisely!) where the center of a range of charge weights is to ensure that the outliers (both extreme high and low charge weights) still produce ammo that doesn't exceed the absolute max limit (as opposed to the average pressure) for that run. Yes, it's different for each lot of powder, and this is how that difference has to be accounted for. Smokeless propellants are an organic compound, composed of some materials over which we have little or no control of. If the material (cellulose, the basis for most smokeless propellants) falls too far outside what's usable, it doesn't get used. Aside from that, the powder makers can play with the blend a bit to get it to conform to certain burning characteristics that they desire. This, however, introduces certain variables, that simply can't be entirely eliminated. That's why powders vary from lot to lot. Within the "cannister grade" powders, this variation is held to specific levels in order for that powder to be labeled as a particular type or number of powder. This is what allows reloading books to have some degree of continuity between them, brand to brand. We've all seen the discrepencies between different reloading manuals in comparing loads, and seen how much difference there often is between charge weights. Part of this is due to their use of different lots of the "same" powder. I can pretty comfortably state that none of them is "wrong", but were "right" with the components they had on hand to do the load development. Still we see examples wherein one companies starting load is near, or in some cases exceeds anothers maximum load. Again, this is due in large part to powder variability from lot to lot. This is also why those of us who produce manuals are so adamant about starting low, and working up to the maximum loads shown with a good degree of caution. Lake City is currently loading the M118LR with RL-15, but the process of starting a new run with 1/100th of a grain accuracy is still followed, for each and every run. In my time with a previous employer, I certified literally millions of bullets for Lake City, using their components and their load specifications. I've mentioned this before, but that did not include a charge weight; it defined performance standards. Specifically, 2,580 fps @ 78 ft, and whatever powder charge of RL-15 I needed to use to attain that velocity, +/- a specified limit.

His assertion that cannister grade powders are being used by factories like Federal, Remington and Winchester is perfectly correct. But it's entirely incorrect to say that non-cannister grade or proprietary powders aren't being used as well. Or that proprietary powders are simply "defective" or out of spec runs that the ammo companies can get more cheaply than "good" stuff. That's ridiculous, and demonstrates a complete ignorance of the topic at hand. As I've already mentioned, most ammo makers will also have more than one powder that can be used for a given load. Availability issues plague ammo makers too, just like they do the average handloader. Except instead of not being able to get an 8 pounder from the local gunshop, they're dealing with not being able to get 2,000 lbs on schedule, for whatever reason. They need that flexibility, and alternate powders are the way that can be accomplished. No mystery here, nor is it some kind of conspiricy. It's just business.

He's also alluded to the notion that Lapua may be a bit different in how we develop our charges, but hasn't "verified" it with his own analysis. I'll save him the trouble; we use a variety of powders, not just Vihtavuori. And for exactly the same reasons as the others in the industry. That said, we, along with every other manufacturer, considers load data (both type and charge weight) to be proprietary information. Hopefully, with some of the information I've provided here, everybody will understand why this is a necessary position to take.

Kevin... that's pretty unfair to rob something out of context in effort to disparage me... :(

But from what you have said, I can't disagree with hardly any of it!

Are we getting closer to agreeing in these points (?):

Ammo makers do user canister grade powders.

Ammo makers sometimes use non-canister grade powders.

Powder lots vary... whether you buy it by the rail car or by the pound.

_______________________________ :)

Then what we don't perhaps agree on is how often the non-canister grade powders are used.

On the Lake City load... do you feel comfortable publishing the notion that 45 grains of 4895 is good to go with a 173 grain bullet in the .308 win? What if someone misuses that information and explodes their rifle?

Just razzin' :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.