O-give O-guyve or o-jive

How the hell do you pronounce it? Ive heard all three and don't want to sound like a fool!

It is spelled "Ogive"

It is pronounced /O jiv/ and is a Noun, And means a pointed or Gothic Arc.

Ether way, most people into ballistics will know what you are talking about.

J E CUSTOM

From hornady,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 57
I'm just going to start calling it 'bullet transition' or 'bullet arc' ,never liked the word OGIVE anyway.
In my ears it goes over about as well as someone saying PUCE, MOIST, or BULBOUS.

there's more ...

I say Bartline and smith says Bartleen for Bartlein Barrels ....
me go Kreeger and smith go Kriger for Kreiger Barrels .....

me right, him wrong...... right ?

It is spelled "Ogive"
It is pronounced /O jiv/ and is a Noun, And means a pointed or Gothic Arc.
Ether way, most people into ballistics will know what you are talking about.
But most reloaders don't understand what 'the ogive' means.
Most think it's a datum on bullet noses, and don't know it's actually the entire arc of the nose, and that there is no standard datum.
So the terms -base to ogive, CBTO, etc., are only specific in a local sense. Yours isn't the same as mine.

I don't know if I can learn a new way to say it.:rolleyes: I think how ever you want to say it will work. Anyone you are talking to that has an understanding of what you are talking about will know what you mean.

As to what the ogive is...

My understanding is that the ogive is the point on the nose of the bullet where the dia is equal to the bore. So on a .308 caliber the ogive would be located on the nose of the bullet at the point where it reaches .300 in dia.

Steve

My understanding is that the ogive is the point on the nose of the bullet where the dia is equal to the bore.
Your understanding is incorrect.
A synonymous misunderstanding would be thinking the bullet nose is only a specific point on a bullet nose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogive

It's important to accept this so that you can see target datums for measure are not so easily achieved as assumed. For instance, a reloader may think their tool contact correlates with their land contact point. But common ogive radius variances and many different leade angles available and changing with firing, make that correlation unlikely.
Folks should understand that much at least.
Your datums mean nothing to mine or to anybody else. They are as unique as every barrel.

So we go back to what matters: reproducing whatever the bullet/barrel combination tells us is best.
Nearly any tool or local datum works as well for this.

Your understanding is incorrect.
A synonymous misunderstanding would be thinking the bullet nose is only a specific point on a bullet nose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogive

It's important to accept this so that you can see target datums for measure are not so easily achieved as assumed. For instance, a reloader may think their tool contact correlates with their land contact point. But common ogive radius variances and many different leade angles available and changing with firing, make that correlation unlikely.
Folks should understand that much at least.
Your datums mean nothing to mine or to anybody else. They are as unique as every barrel.

So we go back to what matters: reproducing whatever the bullet/barrel combination tells us is best.
Nearly any tool or local datum works as well for this.

That's kind of funny. That is what I always thought was the definition. A while back this discussion was going on and I looked up a definition. The same Wikipedia gave me a definition that I described earlier and I had to be corrected. So now it looks I never was wrong I just thought I was wrong. And since I thought I was wrong now I am wrong.:D

Steve

That's kind of funny So now it looks I never was wrong I just thought I was wrong. And since I thought I was wrong now I am wrong.:D

Steve

That's a very astute answer Steve, I had to read it several times and laugh because I know the feeling. (It happens to me all the time)

All that I know is that the Ogive starts at the body of the bullet and ends at the nose or end
of the bullet. and it is ever changing making it a arc not a radius. just like the trajectory of a bullet that follows a parabola and not a radius.

There are many shapes of Ogive's and they are determined by the bullet maker depending on his needs and desires. Where they make contact with the rifling has to many variables and does not change the Ogive shape only performance.

Most of the newer bullets have a secant Ojive giving them a longer bullet length for the same weight increasing the ballistic coefficient. It also increases the loaded length in order to engage the rifling at the same diameter. But in most cases it also shortens the body length of the bullet changing the way it behaves in the rifled bore.

Now I'm confused ! oh well its that pointed end of the bullet. (A little humor)

J E CUSTOM

That's a very astute answer Steve, I had to read it several times and laugh because I know the feeling. (It happens to me all the time)

All that I know is that the Ogive starts at the body of the bullet and ends at the nose or end
of the bullet. and it is ever changing making it a arc not a radius. just like the trajectory of a bullet that follows a parabola and not a radius.

There are many shapes of Ogive's and they are determined by the bullet maker depending on his needs and desires. Where they make contact with the rifling has to many variables and does not change the Ogive shape only performance.

Most of the newer bullets have a secant Ojive giving them a longer bullet length for the same weight increasing the ballistic coefficient. It also increases the loaded length in order to engage the rifling at the same diameter. But in most cases it also shortens the body length of the bullet changing the way it behaves in the rifled bore.

Now I'm confused ! oh well its that pointed end of the bullet. (A little humor)

J E CUSTOM

Well said Sir!

[ame]https://youtu.be/t9MCdOwZ3AU?t=89[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/1leZkmgzOKQ?t=12[/ame]

Cheers!

Ed

For the life of me I can not duplicate the search that I had done to find the definition of ogive location that I had found. I am going to have to let it go. It just bugs me to no end.

I can say this though, we have a lot of time in designing our ogive.

Steve

We have had so much fun with Ogive, how about we talk about "Meplat"

I have heard It pronounced many different ways.

It is a French word meaning flat (Go figure) I cant speak French so I wouldn't know the correct
Pronunciation.

This should be interesting .

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.