Other powders...

N550 in a 1-11" twist 7RM 25" Rock BBL 120 TTSX 3600 fps 61K sub half moa. Its like shooting a varmint rifle.
That's pretty impressive.

In my younger days I was shooting a 7RM as my sole rifle and I was loading 110gr bullets for it as fast as they would run using H380 and H414.

You are correct, that's airmailing 120gr projectile at near 220 Swift speeds.

That's pretty impressive.

In my younger days I was shooting a 7RM as my sole rifle and I was loading 110gr bullets for it as fast as they would run using H380 and H414.

You are correct, that's airmailing 120gr projectile at near 220 Swift speeds.

Yes, I have been there too. Bought my first 7RM at 16 and hunted everything and I mean everything with it for quite a few years.

I absolutely have "other" powders in case of what? Some are listed/recommended by manuals or QuickLoad. I haven't used many of them yet.

My "normal" go to are powders IMR, Hogdgon and Alliant. 7828, 4350, 4831 Varget Benchmark, Reloader 17, 26, 33

The "new" IMR powders are un-tried. 8208XBR untried.

I'll get around to trying them.

WildROse,

I developed a strategy during the powder scarcity that resulted in my picking up about 12 pounds of H-4831SC and long cut, including am 8 pound keg of H-4831 SC & a 5 pound jug of RL-22 along with 3 pounds of IMR-4350. I was able to pick up 10 pounds of Power Pistol, 8 pounds of TiteGroup, 3 pounds of Uniquue (I could've bought more) 4 pounds of Li'l Gun, 3 pounds of PL-19, 3 pounds of Varget and 3 pounds of RL-15.

If stored correctly, powder will last decades if not longer.

I wish I hadn't of had to buy such large amounts, but I thought it wise to get it while I could.

BTW, that strategy consumed at least 3 hours a day. And I've never used gunbot.

Don't over look VV N570. This powder does very well in my 6.5 Sherman and also in a 22-284. It is expensive though. This powder is very coarse or large grained; and meters hard. R26 is right there for speed in the Sherman driving 140's at 3300+ fps with a 28" barrel. The 22-284 drives a 80 gr Berger at 3550-3600 fps.

Perhaps the recent merger of Berger and VV/Lapua will change the dynamics of the screwed up market. Hogdon, Alliant, IMR, and everyone else in the components industry could use a well deserved kick in the butt given the way they have managed the availability of their products. While I have not used the VV powders, I have buddies that swear by them. I have strongly contemplated giving them a try, having preferred the tried and true traditional offerings. For me Lapua brass has been readily available with top quality. With minimum effort, VV could attack the market with viable alternatives to the popular powders we have been using. Currently, while popular in competitive circles, I think their powder designations are difficult to equate to popular hunting powders we currently use and not very well marketed. IMO

Don't over look VV N570. This powder does very well in my 6.5 Sherman and also in a 22-284. It is expensive though. This powder is very coarse or large grained; and meters hard. R26 is right there for speed in the Sherman driving 140's at 3300+ fps with a 28" barrel. The 22-284 drives a 80 gr Berger at 3550-3600 fps.

N570 in the 7STW with 180 VLD is awesome.

Perhaps the recent merger of Berger and VV/Lapua will change the dynamics of the screwed up market. Hogdon, Alliant, IMR, and everyone else in the components industry could use a well deserved kick in the butt given the way they have managed the availability of their products. While I have not used the VV powders, I have buddies that swear by them. I have strongly contemplated giving them a try, having preferred the tried and true traditional offerings. For me Lapua brass has been readily available with top quality. With minimum effort, VV could attack the market with viable alternatives to the popular powders we have been using. Currently, while popular in competitive circles, I think their powder designations are difficult to equate to popular hunting powders we currently use and not very well marketed. IMO
VV doesn't seem to do much if any marketing at all and the others don't do much either.

With all of the ads that run on this website on a daily basis when was the last time you say an ad by any of the powder producers?

It seems as though they simply count on the end users to pass it along or hope that because we see their powders listed in load data sheets that we'll simply decide to give it a try. At the price of advertising though I'm not sure I'd encourage any of them to do very much of it because we're the ones who would end up paying for it.

N570 in the 7STW with 180 VLD is awesome.
I'm pretty impressed looking at the VV N Powders on various loads as they seem to give quite often the highest velocities for a given load on a fairly consistent basis.

Yes it is expensive powder but it seems to give very good results across a broad range of calibers. I started taking note of them a few years back because I spend a lot of time searching through load data always looking for what might be an improvement over what I have always used.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm one who tends towards a fierce loyalty to any manufacturer's goods that work for me and will always come back to them whenever I can.

VV doesn't seem to do much if any marketing at all and the others don't do much either.

With all of the ads that run on this website on a daily basis when was the last time you say an ad by any of the powder producers?

It seems as though they simply count on the end users to pass it along or hope that because we see their powders listed in load data sheets that we'll simply decide to give it a try. At the price of advertising though I'm not sure I'd encourage any of them to do very much of it because we're the ones who would end up paying for it.

I agree that advertising in the usual sense may not be effective but doing what Eric and Bryan do supporting Berger bullets on this site has to have paid huge dividends with priduct awareness and sales.

I agree that advertising in the usual sense may not be effective but doing what Eric and Bryan do supporting Berger bullets on this site has to have paid huge dividends with priduct awareness and sales.
You read me wrong, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be effective, I'm saying it seems like they simply rely primarily on word of mouth and printed load data.

As it is though they really can't keep up with demand very well so it simply not pay them to do more advertising.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.