Other Cheytac powder options

Don't see why not, another Rocky Mountain?

I just woke up thinking about that powder charge, apparently it didn't sit with me that well. So I went out to the shop and went through my notes, the number I gave was more of where I started and not the final. I changed the post above to reflect the load I settled on. Notes say I got to 153 grains (compressed) with Jamison brass before pressure showed it's ugly head. Had no pressure with Bertram but dropped it down anyways for best accuracy.

Off the top of my head I believe it was 147 grains with the 415 CEB MTH. It was actually a middle of the road velocity load @ 2900 fps (got almost 3100 before pressure appeared) but man was it accurate!

I know this thread is two years old now, but after the last post I found an excellent load with Retumbo, but Retumbo is pretty much extinct now and I am on my last 8 LBs.

So is 147 grains of RL33 a good start point for .408 with 420 grain projectiles?

Thank you for your time

Not knowing what brass you are using and your OAL I would say to drop it down several more grains, 140 or so. There is quite a bit of weight difference between my Bertram and Peterson brass.

Not knowing what brass you are using and your OAL I would say to drop it down several more grains, 140 or so. There is quite a bit of weight difference between my Bertram and Peterson brass.
I'm using Peterson brass
COAL Is 4.348
Desert Tech HTI 29" barrel
I got my best ES with about 2850ish FPS

thanks again for the info

That was about it for a comfortable load, with great groups at 100. I got up to almost 3100 fps with RL33 before I hit pressure (3080 I believe). I ran it at 2900 because it had crazy precision and very easy on brass. When doing load development at 400 yards the load I settled on shot 3 consecutive groups that averaged well under an inch with the largest being .96", it carried exceptional precision waaayyyy out.

That was about it for a comfortable load, with great groups at 100. I got up to almost 3100 fps with RL33 before I hit pressure (3080 I believe). I ran it at 2900 because it had crazy precision and very easy on brass. When doing load development at 400 yards the load I settled on shot 3 consecutive groups that averaged well under an inch with the largest being .96", it carried exceptional precision waaayyyy out.
3100 is awesome, what barrel length?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts