Powders

RL26 and 300WSM loads - I debated starting a separate thread for this but thought updating my previous post would do the job. I have been (and still am) an advocate for using Superformance in 300WSM's (165-180 bullets) and personally have had good success in accuracy and velocity for hunting loads - but a new Savage 16 did not seem to like it at all. I recently was able to find some RL26 (planned to use for 270 Win), but found some data (Speer, Hornady, Berger) for 300WSM and thought I'd shoot a ladder with 165's in the Savage. All bullets were seated at 0.020 off lands. Got really nice velocities and what appeared to be 2 nodes, so narrowed charge increments down and shot again. The lower accuracy/velocity node was 71.1 gr/3126 FPS; the higher node was 71.8/3156 FPS (with some very slight bolt lift issues). The accuracy of both nodes was outstanding (for me) at less than .75 MOA - given rifle is scoped temporarily with Bushnell Banner D/D 3-9 and some rusty shooting skills. I'll be going with the lower node and refining with a seating depth test - if anyone's interested, I can post these results as well. Bottom line is that I've found RL26 to be a great powder in the 300WSM for the mid-weight (165-180) bullets I shoot - and as Jud96 and others have stated above, it also performs well with some of the heavier bullets they have used. IMO - RL26 is definitely worth a try if you're looking for a fast, accurate, consistent and reasonably temp stable load for 300WSM in quite a wide range of bullet weights.
Great data on RL26. I'm not surprised it worked good in the WSM. It works great in my 6.5 PRC, also a short-fat case. It gives some of the highest velocities I've seen with the 6.5 bullets I tried. The biggest issue I've run into with RL26 is availability. Back in 2019 when my 1lb test bottle ran out I could not locate any in a reasonable time so I resorted to H1000, which at the time was available everywhere and I was already keeping in 8lb bins because I was and still am using it in 2 7mm LRMs. If RL26 had been available back in my 300 WSM days I would have likely tried it.

You are absolutely correct. My rifle is the Model 70 Classic Laminated WSM. When I purchased it, the fire arms manager at the store told me it was the first one of this model they had received. My recollection was that I purchased it before retiring in 2002, however, my recollection ain't what it used to be. I don't know how many years they offered this model, but the .325 WSM was offered so it had to be after 2005. In any event, I love the rifle, it has filled my freezer with elk for many years.
Yes sir! I too love my 300 WSM Model 70...Featherweight. They are fine rifles. I got lucky when I found mine a year ago. It had barely been fired, has professional pillared-bedding installation and is sporting a 2001 serial number.

RL26 and 300WSM loads - I debated starting a separate thread for this but thought updating my previous post would do the job. I have been (and still am) an advocate for using Superformance in 300WSM's (165-180 bullets) and personally have had good success in accuracy and velocity for hunting loads - but a new Savage 16 did not seem to like it at all. I recently was able to find some RL26 (planned to use for 270 Win), but found some data (Speer, Hornady, Berger) for 300WSM and thought I'd shoot a ladder with 165's in the Savage. All bullets were seated at 0.020 off lands. Got really nice velocities and what appeared to be 2 nodes, so narrowed charge increments down and shot again. The lower accuracy/velocity node was 71.1 gr/3126 FPS; the higher node was 71.8/3156 FPS (with some very slight bolt lift issues). The accuracy of both nodes was outstanding (for me) at less than .75 MOA - given rifle is scoped temporarily with Bushnell Banner D/D 3-9 and some rusty shooting skills. I'll be going with the lower node and refining with a seating depth test - if anyone's interested, I can post these results as well. Bottom line is that I've found RL26 to be a great powder in the 300WSM for the mid-weight (165-180) bullets I shoot - and as @Jud96 and @300 Driver have stated above, it also performs well with some of the heavier bullets they have used. IMO - RL26 is definitely worth a try if you're looking for a fast, accurate, consistent and reasonably temp stable load for 300WSM in quite a wide range of bullet weights.
Great info, thanks.

I'll bet it shoots good too!
Indeed. 180 gr Swift Scirocco II pushed by RL16 & WLRM primer. Though I haven't killed with it, yet.
494F8E1C-59F0-4892-85FF-1BE6A4ECA5B1.jpeg
9455119D-B8F8-4D26-A915-B4F12C01E750.jpeg

I do not think there are many bad bullets out there anymore. There is something for just about everyone and the bullets perform how they are designed. It you like high shoulder shots them and Accubond work well and if you like heart shots and want the most damage possible then the fragmenting Berger's work cell. I have used both with great success. So once you figure out what you want you bullet to do all you have left Is develop a load and test it out. Then it all comes down to your shot placement. Happy Hunting Boys!!