Proof research muzzle brake ???

Threejs

I like the way the vais brake puts the noise out front and is not super loud. What are the options for brakes on proof barrels? What are you guys using? I tried to google it but I know this forum is full of first hand encounters.

Thanks guys

I like the way the vais brake puts the noise out front and is not super loud. What are the options for brakes on proof barrels? What are you guys using? I tried to google it but I know this forum is full of first hand encounters.

Thanks guys
There are much better brakes available. You never want to use a 360 degree discharge radial brake or one that focuses the blast at least partially forward when shooting from the prone without some sort of ground cloth in front of the rifle due to the dust signature they kick up.

If you find yourself shooting into a headwind while prone on a hunt you're liable to get your eyes sandblasted pretty badly.

I've replaced nearly all of my old brakes with the Norwest Precision Muzzle Brake, specifically the slotted version. The few I haven't replaced will be sooner rather than later.

Easy on the ears, very effective felt recoil and muzzle flip reduction and no worries about sand and burnt powder coming back in my face.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going with a lite sendero contour. The vais is the first brake I have used in a long time. The old ones would blow my ears out. The vais is not bad at all. Glad to hear there are others out there

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going with a lite sendero contour. The vais is the first brake I have used in a long time. The old ones would blow my ears out. The vais is not bad at all. Glad to hear there are others out there

All muzzle brakes are loud regardless of design. "IF" you have not tried anything but radial brakes like the Vais, then you do not know what you're missing, as WR noted , there are plenty of better MBs out in the market today.

Hello,

You may want to call and talk to someone at Proof directly and ask them where they are at in regards to their hybrid composite muzzle brakes...
They were just awarded an 11.5 million dollar contract for such brakes and medium caliber barrels for US Govt.

THEIS

Hawkins precision is what I put on all my proofs. $50 from 3rd generation shooting supply. Can get a 3 port version or a 2 port. You will want the .850" version for a sendero light

Attachments

• IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,236
Would like to revive this thread. The muzzle diameter on a Proof 28" Sendero is 0.963", and I have not found a titanium/lightweight brake with a mounting surface diameter over 0.875". Hawkins, quoted in this thread, only has a stainless version at 1.000" mounting diameter. Are there any over the counter options that you guys have found? I can always get a quote a titanium brake turned down i guess.

I built one last year using a 1.000" brake and just tapered it down to the barrel diameter behind the ports. Once the brake is on, you never notice the slight taper.

On another note, some of Proof's pre-fit barrels now come threaded.

Would like to revive this thread. The muzzle diameter on a Proof 28" Sendero is 0.963", and I have not found a titanium/lightweight brake with a mounting surface diameter over 0.875". Hawkins, quoted in this thread, only has a stainless version at 1.000" mounting diameter. Are there any over the counter options that you guys have found? I can always get a quote a titanium brake turned down i guess.
Pierce engineering makes one. I have it on mine. THey will make you any size you want out of ti. It's very effective and works well.

Pierce engineering makes one. I have it on mine. THey will make you any size you want out of ti. It's very effective and works well.

Thanks! I looked on their website, and couldn't find an image of their brake design. What design is the one they made for you? What was the price?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.